CHAPTER 43

Klaus wanted us to attend a party being hosted by the mayor of New Orleans. I wore a latte-colored, form fitting gown with a sweetheart neckline and its cap sleeves are embellished in gold metallic lace. The gown is fitted to fit my bump yet hugging all the right curves. I put my hair in a braided bun and slapped on minimal make-up.

"Ready, love?" Klaus asked, wrapping his arms around my waist, giving my exposed neck a kiss

I leaned into his touch, nodding in response. He twirled me to face him, smashing his lips against mine. Warmth feeling—as always. I've missed Klaus. He's often out of the house but he makes it up to me by bringing home some flowers and what I've been craving for that day.

Being 3 months pregnant, I've told Klaus we need to start getting proper doctor check-ups. My mom was the one being the family doctor but I still need health care normal humans get. I can't live off of pomegranate for the rest of the pregnancy. But, other than that, Rebekah suggested we attend Prenatal classes, to which Demeter refused and got Aphrodite to teach it to us instead.

"I look fat," I muttered, pulling away from his lips.

"You look beautiful," He protested, tightening his hold, "Rebekah's getting antsy. We need to go,"

I nodded holding on to Klaus' outstretched arm. I was wearing 2-inch heels and being pregnant is making heels harder to wear.

"About time," Rebekah whined, "I thought I'd have to drag you both by the hair,"

"Well, with me knocking on your door fifty times, I would've thought we'd have to leave you," Klaus barked back.

Rebekah only rolled her eyes and made her way to the car. The driver took us to a compound with people dressed in jester costumes hanging on the ceiling by a hoop. When we entered the venue, Klaus made his way to a dark-skinned man standing by the bar.

"Marcel, I'd like you to meet my girlfriend, Persephone," He told him, gesturing to me, "Love, this is Marcel, an old friend of mine,"

"Mmm, I wouldn't say friend. More like sire, mentor—father," He said chuckling, "However, it's so nice to finally meet you. Klaus has told me more about you,"

"I haven't heard about you until now but it's nice to meet you too," I mumbled, holding out my hand. He raised it to his lips and pressed his lips against the back of my hand. I looked at Klaus and saw he has a deadly look in his eyes. When Marcel let go, he smirked at Klaus' expression.

"Relax, Klaus, I'm not after your girl," He reassured, "Did you bring her?"

"She's waiting for me to open her car door. She wanted a big entrance. But I figured you should give it her," He said, smirking. Marcel nodded, leaving us by the bar as he made his way in the crowd.

"Who is he?" I asked Klaus, facing him.

"Marcel Gerard. He was like a son to me. I once saved him from his family that only abused him. Over time, he grew to love Rebekah more than what he's supposed to. We got separated when I thought my Mikael had killed him in the opera house. I haven't seen him since recently. He runs New Orleans now," He answered, gesturing the bartender for a drink.

"I'm surprised you're not taking the position away from him," I said as he handed me a glass with red liquid inside.

"I'm already a King and I have a Queen by my side. We're about to bring our children into this world and...I thought I'd give Rebekah her chance at happiness," He said, gesturing to the dance floor, where Rebekah and Marcel made their grand entrance, "Mikael is dead. Esther is dead. There's nothing holding me back, anymore. That's why you, my love, are the best thing that has ever happened to me,"

I can feel tears threatening to fall. Klaus is being sweet at the wrong time, in the wrong place. But, I love this man. He's the best thing that has ever happened to me too.

"I love you," I told him.

"I love you too," He said, leaning down and smashed his lips against mine.

-------

"Hola, mi amigos!"

"No! Apollo, what are you doing here?" I groaned, annoyed at his presence. It was 3 days after the party and everything was peaceful until...Apollo.

"I wanted to see the new addition to the family!" He exclaimed.

"They're not even born yet. So, hop along in your burning carriage," Klaus stated, caressing my hair.

"No can do, Daddy-o." Apollo, no. "The fam will be coming for a visit soon and I want my niece and nephew all to myself,"

"...What did you just say?"

"Oh, haven't Aunt Demeter told you? It's a boy and a girl!"

"APOLLO!"