Chapter 14

Joel's POV

As Zaria's uncle, Sam slammed the gate shut, I smirked and turned to start walking home. I heard voices from the house but couldn't make out what they were saying and I know better than to eavesdrop though it was obvious they were talking about me.

On my way home, I began to think of what Zaria said. She was putting in a good word for Ada. That's what friends do anyway. I didn't like Ada that way. It's safe to say that she's overbearing. But if Zaria says I should give her a chance, maybe I will. Maybe she won't turn out to be so bad after all.

I got home soon after and went in. Mum and Dad were already seated, waiting for me so we could have dinner together as a family.

"Where did you go to?" Dad asked. I pulled out a chair from the table and sat down. Mum began to serve the meal. The maid called in sick and Mum gave her the week off.

"I saw Zaria. Found out she also lives in this estate so I escorted her to home." I replied.

"Who is Zaria?" Dad asked.

"Honey, Zaria. The girl that Joel is always talking about. You know, the competition girl." Mum replied

"Ohhh. The one you called an arrogant brat." Dad chuckle and I grimaced at the memory.

"Dad, seriously. Don't remind me of that ugly incident. Plus, that was before. We are now very close friends." I informed them, picking up the fork to start eating.

"Really? How close?" Mum asked, her eyebrows raised. Dad started to laugh.

"Ma!" I exclaimed but couldn't stop the smile from spreading across my lips.

"What?! It was just a question and even from the smile on your face, there must be something. So tell me what is going on." Mum smirked.

"There is nothing, mum. We are just friends." I told her, at the same time trying to convince myself.

"Rachael, if he says they are just friends then they are just friends." Dad said.

"Thank you, dad." I stuffed a forkful of spaghetti in my mouth.

"Then, after dinner, you and I will have a father-son talk, so you would tell me every single detail about this girl so I will have to know who my son is going for. We don't want another Tiana." Dad said. I dropped my fork and glared at him.

"Dad!" I shook my head, loosing my appetite immediately.

"He is right. The last thing we want is for another girl to hurt you." Mum told me.

"Zaria is definitely not like that." I quickly defended.

"So you finally agree that there is something." Dad wiggled his eyebrows.

"What?! No! That's not what I meant. I'm going to my room." I stood up and rushed upstairs. If I stayed one more minute with them they would eat me raw.

I got to my room and fell to my bed face down, groaning. I turned around and faced the ceiling, allowing my mind to wander back to early this evening. Zaria's face appeared in my mind and I didn't know when a smile crossed my lips.

What are you doing to me, Zaria?

I can't believe we were once on bad terms, always at each others necks. Mum was really right about me getting to know her, because I love this side of Zaria. I kinda like the vicious side too though, it makes her look.... In control.

But

I can't help but feel that there is something about her. Something really off but I can't place my finger on it. I will find out though, hopefully.