soulmate au // Richie

SIDE NOTE: there's a nod to my other Richie imagine in this one.

L/N - Last name
Y/N - Your name

Based on the Tumblr post above ^

Age: sixteen

Set in the present at an American high school (I know, so stereotypical)

'In all the world, there is no heart for me like yours. In all the world, there is no love for you like mine.' — Maya Angelou

"Let's go, Champion, let's go!" Each house screams their chants as students race, jump and throw. The whole school is dressed in red, white, green, blue, pink and yellow costumes run around and cheer each other on. It was your school's athletics carnival and looking at your soulmate counter, today was the day you would meet your soulmate.

"Will the Sophomore students who are participating in the 100m sprint please go to the 100m track." It scared you, the thought of meeting the one you loved. What if they didn't like love you like that? What if it all went wrong? You start to walk over towards Beverly and Bill, your best friends. They were lucky. They'd found their soulmate from young age, due to always being with each other. You had to admit, they were fricking adorable, but it made you feel sad that you hadn't found yours yet. Your soulmate counter changed everyday, but you never found them. The thought crossed your mind, you look at your wrist.

200 steps.

Your heart leapt. Your soulmate was close by.

"Y/N!" Beverly yells, waving to you and jumping up and down. Your favourite red head and her boyfriend were adorned in red paraphernalia, matching you and the rest of your house. "You're going to do so well!" The teacher calls for everyone's attention.

"Okay everyone, change of plan for this year's 100 metre sprint. It's a mixed race." A mixed reaction comes from the crowd. You just shrugged it off, you didn't really mind.

"Hey Y/N!" You cringe as you hear that annoying voice. Richard Tozier — the trash mouth who just wouldn't stop flirting with you and much to your horror, you fell for his stupid act. The boy had grown nicely, no longer a small child, but now a towering lanky teenager. You had to admit, he was pretty attractive. "I hope I'm versing you, babe." You spin to see him winking at you. You roll your eyes at the yellow-clad boy.

"I would beat your ass, Tozier." You remark back as everyone starts lining up in order. You wait for your race.

"L/N, Tozier, Beckett, Krasbrak and Jensen, you're up next." You're screaming on the inside. Why him?! The race in front of you starts and you begin getting in your position.

"Good luck, babe." Richie teases and your cheeks flush with embarrassment.

"Fuck off, Richie." You hiss under your breath as you dug your feet into the grass.

"On my whistle!" The teacher announces. You look at the end of the course, aiming for your target. The whistle sounds and you're off, speeding down the track. Your head is pounding as your feet hit the ground, arms swinging back and forth attempting to keep the momentum. You reach the end, panting but cheering as you finish first.

"Watch out!" A tall body comes into contact with you, sending both of you to the ground. You land on the grass, your head landing on their stomach. You groan, your head and muscles aching from new found pain. A strange feeling spreads up your arm and you sit up, checking your soulmate counter.