4|Found You

vote | comment | follow

Leaning on the hood of his car, Alex glanced at his wrist watch before returning his gaze to the hospital that towered before him. 7.15 pm. It was considerably dark but who could tell, the bright white hospital lights glared down at him.

Alex pushed himself off the car and began approaching the wide entrance, pausing to allow a young woman who was carrying a pale looking child to walk by. When the child looked up, Alex darted his gaze away avoiding the sickly ghost-like eyes.

One of the main reasons as to why he hated hospitals and preferred the warehouse. Death seemed to be lurking in every corner over everyone's heads. Not to mention the smell of disinfectant and antibiotics that made him nauseous.

"Welcome to St Claire's hospital," The blonde secretary said monotonously eyes still glued to the screen of her computer, "How may I..." Her voice trailed off when she lifted her gaze to his face. Clearly taken aback, the blonde cleared her throat sitting straight in the chair.

"How may I help you?" She asked a lot less monotonously than before.

Alex's eyes flickered to her name tag and back, "I'm looking for a patient named Ameena Wilson, I'm her brother. I just found out she got checked into this hospital a few days ago."

After looking at him a bit skeptically, the blonde nodded typing away at the computer. After a few seconds the screen beeped, "That's right, Ameena was checked in two days ago."

"What room is she in?"

"I'm sorry sir," She trailed off regretfully, the smile on her face fading. "But visiting hours finished two hours ago. I cannot give you that information."

Alex fell silent, tapping his index finger on the counter thoughtfully. He would've chosen to argue with her or come up with a good excuse to let him in. But instead, he just smiled lightly. "Right, thank you." He stepped aside just as another nurse in scrubs walked to the counter.

"Jennie can you get Dr. Colby for us? His patient just woke."

Alex watched in silence as Jennie nodded quickly standing and began speed walking down the hallway.

He took a moment to glance up and down at nurses and ER students hustling up and down calling names and pulling gurneys with patients on them. Once Jennie disappeared around a corner, he leaned across the table and turned the screen towards him. Scrolling the mouse around, he clicked on the patient folder and typed in Ameena's name. In only seconds her profile popped up with the room number.

"Hey!" He looked up just as a male doctor, probably in his early thirties walked up to him. His beady eyes flickered between Alex and the computer before narrowing, "Just what do you think you're doing?"

Alex sighed leaning away from the computer with his hands raised innocently, "Sorry, I was looking for something." His eyes moved past the doctor to a group of nurses hurriedly rolling down a table with a bleeding patient on it. They were shouting orders at each other when one of the nurses bumped into the male doctor shoving him forward towards Alex.

Swiftly Alex caught him before steadying the guy. "Sorry about that." Before the guy could respond, Alex was already walking away tucking the identification card he had swiped from the guy's coat.

The first five floors of the hospital were busy, but once he reached the East wing filled with patient's rooms, it was dead quiet. Reaching for the doctor's card in his pocket, Alex placed it over the scanner and pushed the door open when it beeped green.

He passed ten doors before spotting her door at the near end of the hallway.

Room 223

Placing the card between the door spaces, he swiped it down and the door clicked open in response. Immediately he stepped inside, Alex felt a burst of cool air surround his body. He slowly walked inside as his eyes adjusted to the dim light in the room.