123. Sunrise

123. Sunrise

It was a sight very hard to tire of. 

The meadows were green, a shade of harmony in its overgrowth-- if I lay down, I would feel warm, and so very safe. It was the epitome of serenity-- and I found myself enjoying the calm in this place I could call my hideaway.

"Hey, Mukuro, could we just stop this already?" I joked, closing my eyes to satiate the tickle of the breeze past my face. "We're both here now, even in the same building. Can't we just meet each other face to face?"

Mukuro exhaled in resignation, "I believe the real statement here is that you should get out of my headspace, Ninomiya Rei."

I laughed dryly, "well, if you know how to get me out, please do."

Mukuro tutted.

With a simultaneous sigh escaping our lips, Mukuro made his way over and sat down beside me. We leaned against the tree-- the mood was quiet.

"So what are your plans for the future, Ninomiya Rei?" Mukuro spoke up.

I crumpled, "please, just 'Ninomiya' is fine." Drawing my knees to my chest, I sighed, "for now, I've got nothing much in mind except adapting to the loss of my father."

"You and your sisters are far from legal, so would that send you to an orphanage?" Mukuro inquired, his expressions turning grim.

I shook my head, "fortunately not. Our legal guardian at the moment is Dr Kunomasu, because he's our uncle by blood."

"I see."

The silence was stale, but I did not hate it.

I found myself leaning just a little closer to Mukuro's side-- enjoying the warmth of another human being. He did not see my movements an annoyance, and I appreciated it.

"Will you ever return?" Mukuro inquired, his voice low-spirited, "to this world... to the Mafia?"

My fingers squeezed the grass. I didn't leave, I wanted to say, but I knew I had. Even if Tsuna would tell me I could belong with them, no one had the intention of keeping me here where I risked my life so recklessly.

"Maybe I will," I told him weakly, "but for no, I want to get my body working again. I want to find out what I can in this world-- what I can be without her influence on me. I'll make my decision after thinking it through, deeply."

I felt Mukuro's weight veer onto me.

"What about the Vongola?" his question was straightforward.

Will I leave them now, after claiming to have joined them?

That was the move of a traitor, and I knew. Biting down on my lip, I looked toward the sky.

"I envy you, Mukuro," I admitted, "you know your sky and despite anything, you follow him. You were invited to the sky you serve."