Finding Each Other

Seven Months (prior to proposal).

Their school had won three visiting football games in the season and had a trio of flashy trophies to display in the most populated hallway that all guests had to walk through. Louis heard there would be one more, the deciding final between their school and one travelling from the coast, to determine who actually deserves the Cup title. The showdown would take place in their trimmed and polished field out back behind the school grounds at five in the afternoon when the cheerleaders were done practicing and Louis is far enough away from the rowdiness.

He enjoyed sporting events as much as the next guy but this morning had sucked all the possible enthusiasm he could have had. Nobody would be able to retain excitement when they had to ride to school with the girl Harry bedded the night before.

Louis was waiting on the creaky swing on his porch when Harry parked down the driveway. He was not expecting to find someone sitting in the back looking fiercely glum at her rejected proposition to sit up front; and Louis felt that his territory had been violated. The only person he didn't want to sit next to more than Harry was the strange female in little clothing so he took the next best thing and ignored the driver all through the highway. When they came to a halt in the parking lot Louis rushed to jump out and all but shrieked when his arm was held back.

"Get out will you, doll?" Harry jerked his head in the direction of her door, not flinching when she slammed the door on her way out. He could not capture Louis' attention with the boy staring ahead fixatedly. "Talk to me, princess."

"I think I'm staying for the game tonight." Louis says monotonously, failing to yank his arm free. "I'll catch one of the buses home."

"Unlikely." Harry frowns, the blood vessels in his hand protruding through his skin with the effort behind keeping Louis near. "If you're staying out that late-"

"Whether or not I stay out late, it isn't your responsibility to look after me." Louis twists his arm and gets it away from Harry's grip. "Bye, Harry."

Louis never imagined an acquaintance and close friend of his to be as impulsive as Harry. He knew the man for five or so months but never got to see the side of him that made man into a monster. Harry said nothing when Louis walked off because in that moment he had nothing to defend himself with.

At four o'clock when the school was emptying out to prepare for the game, Louis was interrupted by a lad from his drama class who was once his partner for a mid-term project. He was surprised to say the least and just about managed a polite greeting before closing his locker, sketchpad and backpack in hand.

"Oh. Hi, Michael." Louis smiled while distractedly shoving his pencil case into a pocket of his satchel. "What's up?"

Michael is a six foot quarterback who crushed all stereotypes to smithereens. He is easily one of the most humble people in their school with his dusty combat boots and dress shirts. Above his charming outfit choices was a head of amber hair styled into nothing uniform on most days; as it stood it looked like Michael had just had a shower in the locker room and the water had caused his eyelashes to clump over sparkling navy eyes.

"Hey Louis." The jock offered one brilliant smile that seemed to illuminate all his features along with it. He nodded at the boy's belongings. "Need some help?"

"With all this, you mean?" Louis laughs, holding out his mere two possessions. "You're sweet but if I let you carry my stuff people will think we're married."

Michael surrenders with his hands raised and whistles, impressed. "I don't know anyone who can come back as good as you, Lou."

"Yeah." Louis feels those words strike an ill-prepared part of his emotions and some of the light leaves his face.