Chapter Thirty-Three

We pulled up in front of my house, and Jonah paused before turning to me.

"Can I tell you something?" he asked, a slight grimace on his face.

I raised my eyebrows at him. "Yeah?"

"I'm nervous," he said, fidgeting in his seat.

"Relax, you know my dad already likes you," I reassured him. "And my mom's always nice to everybody. You're gonna be fine."

"Okay," he said, but he was still unconvinced. "I've never really been invited to a friend's house before," he admitted in a small voice, slight flush painting his cheeks. "I've never really... had friends before. You knew that already."

I watched as he played with the top button of his light brown shirt, until he finally settled with leaving it open. When he finally looked up to me, I showed him a smile. "We're just gonna eat dinner, and talk a little bit—my whole family's probably gonna air out all of my dirty laundry in front of you just for fun. Maybe even pull out my terrible baby pictures."

He chuckled at that. I noticed that his posture relaxed a little, and I felt relieved.

"If something happens and you wanna go home early, just give me a signal and it'd be no big deal at all. Okay?"

He nodded at me and I went to get out of the car. After taking a few deep breaths, he followed me out. I went to get Daisy from the backseat of the car, but Jonah beat me to it. "Let me take her."

"No, I'll carry her."

"I'll do it."

"It's fine—"

He silenced me with a look, and then we were just having a stare down, until I finally blinked first and he smirked smugly. He cradled the doll in his arms before I could even touch her, slammed the door shut with his shoulder, and stared at me expectantly.

I rolled my eyes at him. "Come on in."

I led him up to the front porch and paused to let him prepare himself mentally. He shifted Daisy in his arms—he had already mastered how to carry a baby properly—and nodded at me, so I opened the door and walked inside.

I took off my coat and carried it in my arms, and then turned to Jonah. "You can hang your coat there," I told him, pointing at the coat stand in the corner of the living room. "Gimme," I said, reaching out to take Daisy so he could take off his coat.

While he hung his coat on the stand, I slung mine over the back of the couch in the living room, and I waited until he was done before walking inside the dining room.

"Mom, we're here," I said, popping my head into the dining room. Mom immediately looked up, abandoning the pieces of utensils she was putting on the table, her face lighting up into a big smile once she spotted Jonah behind me.

I placed Daisy down on Cole's old feeding chair, making sure she wouldn't slip down and fall. Mom was walking over toward the noticeably nervous Jonah, who stood awkwardly before offering her a handshake. My mom clearly noticed his discomfort and took his offered hand, patting him slightly on his arm.

"It's so good to finally meet you!" Mom gushed once she'd let go of Jonah's hand.

He smiled politely. "Likewise, Ma'am."

She waved him off. "No need to be so formal. Call me Jenny. You kids can wait in the living room while I get the food out. I'll call you guys in once Charlie gets home, alright?"

"Sure, Mom," I said, dragging Jonah back into the living room. As if on cue, my little brother came running down the stairs before throwing himself into me, his arms wrapped around my waist. I ruffled his hair. "What's up, kiddo?"