Chapter Thirteen: Sewage and Angry Kings Don't Mix

Sloshing through putrid water, Robin wondered if it was too late to place the noose back around his neck.

The stench was almost unbearable and at one point, he swore he saw something in the water move. Aragorn claimed that the tunnel led all the way out of the city, so they'd come out near the mountains.

Then from there, it was straight to Rhûn. Well... straight-ish.

Robin wrinkled his nose and continued forcing his way through the thick goo. No amount of freedom could be worth this.

Legolas and Aria both had torches, which flickered off the damp walls. The only sound was their movements and the city life above. But even as he squinted, Robin couldn't see an opening ahead.

"Aye, Hope."

Aragorn paused. Then slowly, he turned. "What?"

Gazing pointedly in the direction they were heading, Robin arched an eyebrow. "Are you sure this leads out? And not... I dunno, into a never-ending pit of stink?"

The king's face tightened. He didn't even answer, turning instead back around and continuing forward.

Robin frowned.

The others followed the man, except for Elanor, who waited for Robin to catch up. Falling by his side, she gave him a sideways glance. "You know, you might have better luck getting answers if you changed tactics."

Robin snorted. "Change tactics?"

"You know, manners and stuff," Elanor raised a brow. "Didn't your parents ever teach you the wonders of please and thank you?"

Robin sombered a little at that, but quickly tried to cover it with a grin. "Sure, love, let's go with that."

Elanor fixed her gaze on the ground, mindlessly tucking a loose strand of red hair behind her ear. "So, Rhûn. What's it like?"

Robin shifted his bag on his shoulders, gazing at the Ranger. "What's with the sudden interest in me? Are you writing my life story?"

Elanor blinked, looking up. Then her gaze hardened a little and she scoffed. "Nevermind, Hood. You're impossible."

She started forward and Robin blinked. Then he cursed, "Rhûn isn't nice, if that's what you were hoping. We're walking to our deaths."

To his slight relief, Elanor paused, glancing over her shoulder. Picking up his pace a little, Robin shrugged. "Picture hot weather and barbarians that enjoy fighting to the death. Then add a little more hot weather."

She winced. "That bad?"

"Eh, a little worse." Robin didn't voice the fact that he really didn't want to go back. It had been a bad move going there in the first place. The only thing that had saved his skin was the fact that he had Andúril.

"Do you have any strategies for getting in?"

It was Legolas's voice.

Frowning, Robin looked up, glaring at the elf. "Do you always listen to conversations that aren't meant for your ears?"

Legolas blinked, then gazed around. "I didn't mean any offense."

"Of course you didn't," Robin scoffed. "Because you're the prime example of a perfect elf. With manners and all the ridiculous stuff."

"You dislike the elves," Legolas raised a brow. "Why?"

Wrinkling his nose, Robin simply shrugged. "I never said I disliked them. Just that you and..." He gazed around. "Wait. Why aren't the Noldor orcs wading through this stench too?" His hopes rose a little. "Did we leave them behind?"