Nathan- Thirteen

Nathan was curled up under his red sheets when Osmond came into his bedroom. "Feeling alright?" His father asked, and Nathan took his eyes off of the video on his phone screen for just long enough to glare at the older man.

"What did I say about just coming into my bedroom?" Nathan asked, curling into himself further.

"Your door was open," was Osmond's weak argument. "Are you alright, though?"

Hearing the genuine concern in the other man's voice, Nathan clicked off his phone screen and met his dad's eyes. "It's been a long week of school, is all". Osmond nodded his head in understanding, but his eyes still roamed Nathan's face.

"Is that it?"

"Uh Huh," Nathan assured, smiling at his father to reassure him. "I'm also very sore from practice today and I don't want to move much".

Grey eyes rolled. "Okay, well, your father and I are going out to dinner, so you have to fend for yourself tonight".

Nathan's eyebrows raised. "Am I not invited?"

"No," was Osmond's response, and Nathan frowned. "It's a Friday night. I just figured you'd have much better things to do that go out to dinner with your parents".

Nathan managed to look hurt for only a minute longer before grinning. "I do actually," he confirmed. "Glenn's coming over to hang out, if that's cool. I was going to ask earlier but I figured that it was alright".

Osmond looked intrigued as he crossed his arms and leaned back against the doorframe. Something in the lighting brought out the grey in his hair, making him look much older. "You've been spending a lot of time with Glenn recently, haven't you?"

Nathan blinked slowly and frowned. "We're friends. Why wouldn't we be spending time together?" He asked, and his father made a face at him, his mouth partially open to respond, but the only sound that filled the room was the doorbell ringing. "That must be him".

"Why are you two not dating?" Osmond asked quickly and Nathan, who was climbing out of bed, paused for a moment and just looked at his father blankly.

"Why do you keep asking me that question?" He demanded and Osmond shrugged.

"You seem good together," Osmond claimed, and Nathan looked at him for a moment longer before shaking his head and finally rising from his mattress.

"I'm not going to listen to you anymore," Nathan declared, throwing his blanks carelessly back over his mattress before leaving his room, walking past his father. He spoke with a little less volume now incase Carmen had already let Glenn into the house. "You're trying to ruin a good thing for me".

"We're trying to make it better," Osmond said softly. "You're just not listening to us". Nathan threw his father a displeased glance over his shoulder before stepping into the living room.

Carmen was talking to Glenn, who looked up and grinned when Nathan entered the room. "Hey you," Nathan greeted, moving to stand by Carmen, who turned his head to look up towards his son, who ignored the glance and continued to study Glenn. "You look good. I like your pants".

Glenn looked down at himself and frowned. "I'm wearing sweatpants," he pointed out and Nathan shrugged and turned his head to look down at his father when an elbow was dug into his side.

"You didn't tell me that Glenn was coming over," Carmen said, and Nathan raised his eyebrows. "I could have bought food or something for you guys. Or popcorn. Or..."

"There's wine in the cabinet, if you really want it," Osmond interrupted, stepping up behind Carmen and sliding his arms around his waist. "Hello, Glenn. It's very nice to see you".