Thirty Nine: Chance

The day was slowly coming to an end, with the sun setting down and the stars appearing on the early night sky. The weather was nice - not too hot and not too cold, perfect for a peaceful stroll around the food and game stands. You looked around curiously, searching for some attractions which were worth stopping by. Kageyama, who was walking by your side, peeked at you inquiringly. Even though you seemed to be enjoying your time here, he could sense that some part of your cheerful attitude was not honest. Your wandering gaze was brimming not only with curiosity but also with some kind of indescribable longing.

The black haired boy gave out a small sigh before speaking up.

"I'm sorry, [Name]-san, I can see you're not having fun", his words were honest, but he couldn't muster up to look at you while saying them.

You turned your head towards Kageyama, and furrowed your eyebrows in surprise.

"Why do you think so?", you asked.

The boy hesitated to reply.

"It's Oikawa-san you'd wish to be here with, isn't it?", he mumbled quietly as if to himself. He could see a light shadow appear in your eyes. A momentary grimace covered your face.

"I've told you I gave up on him", you answered stubbornly. However, your words didn't match your expression which was painted with uncertainty.

At least that's what you stick to, hm?, Kageyama's gaze seemed to be saying. Normally he would have even said it out loud but not now. Today he decided to make you forget about your worries and have fun together, just like you did back in your primary school days. He wouldn't try to make a move on you nor would he mention Oikawa anymore. He wanted you to smile but at the same time his own heart was aching as he was watching you struggle to forget about somebody you were seriously into.

"Let's go to the shooting stand, shall we?", he smiled and took you by the hand.

The two of you disappeared in the crowd.

"Have you heard about the festival?", the voice on the other side of the call asked.

Oikawa sat on his bed and raised his eyebrow.

"Festival?", he repeated his friend's words.

"Yeah, I figured you wouldn't know. You've been drifting in your own world recently", Iwaizumi said. "There's a festival nearby our school with fireworks and all".

"Why are you telling me about this?", Oikawa didn't understand.

"I just thought you'd like to know", his friend answered and Oikawa could nearly see the shrug of his shoulders.

"Well, I don't plan on going if that's what you mean", the chocolate haired boy replied.

"Even if I tell you that [Name] is there?", Oikawa jigged hearing his friend's words.

"She can go anywhere she wants to", he replied warily.

"And with anyone she wants to, you should say", Iwaizumi hummed. It wasn't hard for him to imagine what Oikawa possibly looked like now. He was trying to act uninterested, but his hand was clutching nervously at the phone.

"With whom-", Oikawa started, but he was cut off.

"Kageyama", the boy didn't keep his friend waiting for an answer.

Oikawa widened his eyes as a wave of anxiety overflew him.

"How do you know?", he asked quietly.

"[Name] told me. Nice place for a date, isn't it?", Iwaizumi replied, but before he could finish, he heard the sound of the call ending.