18 ☆ diggory

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

DIGGORY

"here he is, pining over a girl who seems to be half in love with someone who could never love her back

"here he is, pining over a girl who seems to be half in love with someone who could never love her back. fucking idiots, he thinks. both him and her."

☆☆☆

She's always alone on Wednesdays.

Eunbyeol sighs as she wanders aimlessly down a set of stairs, feeling isolated. Taking N.E.W.T. Potions as a fifth year had skewed her schedule dramatically. She's left with a two hour block of nothingness every Wednesday, and while the Eunbyeol that existed prior to fifth year would have been content with that, she's rather disappointed about having so much free time now.

It's funny, honestly, how much she's changed in the span of a year. Eunbyeol had always stuck to herself for most of her life. She had never been particularly popular, spending more of her childhood with her house elf than with other little girls. When she got to Hogwarts, she was still painfully shy. Her fellow Ravenclaws did their best to befriend her, Padma especially, but they truly never became friends with her.

And then there was Cedric. She had ran right into his chest while leaving her Potions class and left a quill and two ink pots with him in her rush to get to her next class. The entire school must have had quite a shock when the handsome Hufflepuff strode over to the Ravenclaw table to hand a quill and ink to a meek fourth year girl. It's December now—nearly six months since his death—and it still hurts to think of him, as much as she hates to admit it. There are moments when she's sitting with her friends and laughing until her ribs hurt and she feels so complete and happy and loved and she thinks, Cedric would have loved this! Her smile typically fades quickly after that. There are other times, though, when she doesn't think about him for days at a time. She lives a normal, Cedric-free life until she sees the framed photo of them on her nightstand—the only photograph she has of them together. You stupid, stupid girl, she thinks to herself at times like that. How could you forget him?

She misses him terribly. It's been hard, not having anyone to talk to about it. She's gotten so good at bottling up her feelings that a part of her is unsure if she's ever gotten the chance to properly mourn Cedric's death. She thinks back to the summer before fifth year, when Draco Malfoy had asked her if she was in love with Cedric. "I think I did," she had told him. She isn't so sure anymore. She saw Cedric then how she sees Anthony now: a confidante, a best friend. She loved Cedric, yes, but she hadn't really known any sort of affection before he came into her life. It was rather sad, honestly, to admit that she hadn't known how love felt until she was fourteen.