twenty pt two

I decided a bath would be good before any festivities. When I was done I found the dress that Vree had gotten me and draped it on, looking at myself in the mirror. I had no idea what he had in mind for tonight, but if it was some sort of cultural performance where everyone had to look at me, I wanted to look good. I twirled my fingers in my hair to tighten my curls, scrunching them so they had more bounce.

Then a knock sounded on my door.

"Come in." I said, leaning into the mirror and pinching my cheeks to bring more color to my face. Being on this ship with nothing but artificial light was making me look ghostly, despite the fact that I was still deeply tanned.

I wanted to frown, I'd gone through so much emotionally and mentally, and it was taking a toll on me physically.

I noticed Vree step into the doorframe but I didn't want to look at him. I was attracted to him, yes, but tonight a little more so than usual, and it didn't help he was smiling and touching me earlier. Part of me still felt self conscious, I'd been wearing myself thin and I wondered if I still had an effect on him despite not being my best self.

"You will wear the dress?" He asked.

I furrowed my brows, "Should I not?"

He met my eyes and scratched the back of his neck, "I suppose we will be joining everyone afterwards. . . however you may be uncomfortable."

"I'm sure I'll be fine, captain." I tried to joke but it just came out awkward and fell a little flat. I felt my face get hot again, "Anyways when are we going?"

"We may depart now." He responded robotically, "I wanted to make sure we spared a few hours so that your stomach is no longer full."

I squinted at him and thought carefully. "What, are we going to be partaking in an eating contest? Whoever eats the most hotdogs win?"

His lip twitched, "Maybe."

I snorted, "Okay, okay. I get it. Secrecy. . right. . surprises. Well then, let's go." With that the two of us were on our way.

Vree took me through different corridors this time. The walk seemed longer than usual. He stopped dead in his tracks, and I almost knocked into his back. "Whoa there—" I said.

I peeked from behind his shoulder. He looked left, then right, and then made a turn. We walked in silence, but something about the way he was leading me seemed a little more. . . haphazard than usual. He picked up his pace, then slowed, then stopped, then looked around, and I was certain we almost walked in circles about three times.

"Are we lost?" I asked, hands on hips as I stood there waiting for him to choose which elaborate corridor we'd go down this time.

He looked at me deadpan, "No."

I crossed my arms, "Alright captain, so why have we been walking in circles? I know for sure I've seen this pipe—" I pointed to the pipe on the wall, "About five hundred times."

"I am not lost Naomi." He continued to walk ahead of me, more confident in his strides now. With his back turned to me he said, "But I wanted to make sure you don't know where we're going."

I squinted at his back. He was continuing on with the surprises. He's been smiling at me lately, and teasing me a bit more, accepting my jokes, and in all. . . .I really enjoyed it. I felt myself bubbling up inside, kind of glad that he was meeting my tempo.

"Well unfortunately for you," I challenged, "I know exactly where we're going." I tilted my chin up, putting my hands on my hips, and walked ahead of him.