Chapter 23 - Choices

"How did you get this!? Wasn't this ring destroyed after the first God War?" This ring shouldn't even be here.

The Ring of Murhe is a cursed item. It will give the wearer power beyond comprehension in exchange for them experiencing the pain of every being from the past, present and future. In other words eternal pain. Most people would die as soon as the ring is worn due to it. It was created by the god of insanity to become the most powerful of all the gods. After all the other gods worked together to kill him, they destroyed the ring. The reason that none of them wore it was because of the curse. After one experienced it, they were left to destroy it since they didn't want anyone to die.

"Oh Dessy, did you forget that I was the former goddess of death and darkness? Most powerful magic items have souls stored in them to maintain the items stored mana. After the item was destroyed I discovered the ability to bring back magic items' souls from the realm of the dead. However the item itself must be repaired. And I may or may have not gathered all of the broken pieces of the ring through... some methods..." She turned away and started staring at the wall after finishing her story.

So my mother is a collector with magic items at her disposal and I am being given a choice between eternal pain and possibly dying from how she said that I need power.

"Oh, Dessy. I forgot to mention, the reason why the gods destroyed it was not to avoid people experiencing eternal pain, it was because they were selfish and didn't want someone who could withstand that pain to kill them. The gods aren't as noble as you may think, they're selfish and only think of mortals as disposable people. They want enjoyment, they play around with the lives of mortals and make them their toys. Don't look up to them." She said with a sad look on her face.

"But aren't you a god?" Although she's a god, she doesn't act very selfish... then again she did just give me this ring.

"That's true, after all, out of all the gods I am the ol- I mean to say, I used to be like that. But dragon wisdom catches up with you and you tend to change. Also don't think of me as playing around, I just want to know your answer. Are you willing to wear that ring to save your friend from death and keep living with that pain? Or will you pass it by, and believe in your own power?" She smirks and sits back down on the couch.

Pain... or no gain...

Depending on my answer my chances of winning vary. Is this enemy really that strong? Could it be one of the assassin leaders?

"... I'll wear the ring" I don't know if I can kill this enemy before Fiora dies, but if I can keep someone I know from dying again...

I'll show those gods who's the selfish one. I won't let anyone I know die again.

"Wonderful!!" Modra claps her hands lightly and grabs the ring from me.

"Well... you see Dessy... rather than seeing you in pain forever, I'll change the curse on this ring. I can't lift it but I'd rather see you live for a long time without losing your mind." She raises the ring in front of her and slowly starts chanting.

"O' powerful soul that lies within, change from the chains that hold thy back, turn those who try into unholy beings who live in darkness and death in eternal sorrow."

Ash she finishes her chant, the ring glows in a dark color as it floats into the air.

After the color dims down Modra grasps the ring and hands it to me.

"This ring will no longer bring pain to you, however, once you wear it the ring will choose you as its master and bind itself to you."

Nice, but I get the feeling something bad will happen.

"However..." There it is. "If you ever lose this ring, take it off, or give it to someone else, you will be sent to the depths of Hades." So in other words, I lose the ring, I lose my life.

Wait...

"Hades?" Whats hades?

"Hades is this realm. The realm of the dead. Also known as hell, or the underworld." She tilts her head to the side. "I thought that was common knowledge?"

Well obviously not since I didn't know.

"Mortals nowadays... So! Tell me. Will you wear this ring?" She leans forward with excitement in her eyes.

I sighed. May as well. My dad always told me that I should follow four things. Number one, always protect your family. Two, always help people only IF you can. Three, always give everything your best. And last don't give up and always finish what you started. Even if you're the wrong one and your wife is correct. Although I'm pretty sure that last part was just something he told himself when he was in an argument with mom.

This goes in those rules so I may as well take the ring.

"I'll take it." Now I have become even stronger, but I have an extremely mortal weakness.

I slide the ring onto my right index finger and as soon as I stopped moving it, it changed its size to fit and then the six circles on the inside release spikes to attach itself.

After a couple seconds nothing happened.

"Well, I thought it would feel different, I guess." Do I have to do something?

"Oh, that's what you're waiting for? Once you leave the mansion the ring will activate. Anyway have fun! Make sure to bring that girl next time, and bring me some food! I haven't eaten in a millennia." She waved her hand and my body started feeling drowsy.

"Wai-" It was too late. I already succumbed to the feeling of sleep and lost my consciousness.

When I wake up I'm on the ground below Fiora. She's looking down towards me with a frightful look.

"Arkh" I grunt as I stand back up on my feet. Surprisingly, my body feels light. I feel like I can run forever. Like I was reborn.

"Hey Fiora, you alright?" I wave my hand in front of her but she doesn't move. I can see her eyes moving however.

I grab her shoulders and shake her lightly but she can only move her eyes. Just as I was going to try something different I hear footsteps behind me.

When I turn around I see a young man in a nobles outfit and a top hat walking towards me.

"My, my. To think you would escape my spell with pain. How very amusing." He starts giggling and clapping.

"Allow me to introduce myself." He lifts his top hat and places it on his chest. "I am Trisk... the god of trickery."