27

Featherstone - The Paper Kites

ISABELLA

I wake up with a pounding headache and my body being trapped against Chase's warm body. My eyes struggle to open. The bright light of the morning sun blinding me as I struggle to wake up. Strong arms are holding me. I look over my shoulder to be met with the top of Chase's blonde hair. His head is nuzzled into my neck. I listen to the steady beating of his heart and slow rhythm of his breathing. In this moment, everything is peaceful. The pounding sickness that I feel in my heart is still asleep, but the images of Harry kissing that other girl are wide awake. 

I can't seem to shake the image free.

My fingers graze over Chase's hands. His skin feels calloused and rough against the soft texture of my own.  Being careful not to wake him up, I shift slightly so that my back is free from his grasp and lying on the bed. 

I hear him groan in his sleep. He turns around so that he is no longer on his side. I sneak a peek only to be met with his piercing blue eyes and half-awake smirk. "Morning," his voice is groggy and low, a result of last nights bedroom activities and five hours of sleep. He stretches his arms above his head. The sheet falling down from his chest and landing just below his v-lines. I catch myself staring at the rise and fall of his chest. Suddenly, Chase moves and pulls me back into his arms. "I missed waking up to you." 

I smile up at him, leaving a soft kiss to his cheek. "I've missed this too." 

It was true. I did miss this. There was something comforting about waking up with someone holding you. The physical contact of another persons touch is something that humans need, crave and desire. Even though it was with Chase, it didn't matter. It was nice to know that he was willing to give it to me, regardless of how mixed up my feelings may be. 

"Do you want some breakfast?" He asks me. His fingers draw doodles against my bare shoulder. He leaves gentle kisses along my shoulder blade and down my arm. 

"Mmm, breakfast sounds good." As I say this, my stomach grumbles. 

"Come on love. I'll make you something to eat." 

The smell of bacon and pancakes fill the kitchen. My stomach grumbles at the potent smell of the freshly made breakfast foods. "Here," Chase passes me a plate and a mug of coffee. "Syrup?" I nod my head, taking the bottle from his hands. 

"Thank you!" I pour the syrup over the freshly made chocolate chip pancakes. I cut a piece and bite into it. "Oh," I take another bite and another. "This is amazing." 

"Yeah?" Chase smiles over at me, his eyes watching me intently as I take a long sip of coffee. 

"Definitely. This is great! Thank you." I reach my hand over and place it on top of his, giving it a quick squeeze. 

Our breakfast is soon interrupted by the shrill of my cell phone. I rush over to my bag, pulling the phone from the front pocket and quickly answering. "Hello?" 

"Hey love," Jaz's sweet voice comes through the line. 

"Hey." 

"Where are you? You didn't come home last night and I got worried. You rushed so fast out of the diner." 

The memories of last night begin to flood back into memory. I cringe at the mental images of Harry and that... girl. All of the pent up anger that I felt last night and pushed away begins to seep into my system. My breathing picks up but I push it back down. There was no point in being angry over this. It was his life, his choice. If he didn't feel the same way about me then that was his problem. His issue.