Stowaway Chapter 1

David's POV

I never thought my life would turn out this bad. How could everything change so much in such short time? It's just me, my dad and my older brother. His name is Jay. He isn't the best of older brothers but at least he's here. My father is never home. So basically my brother is taking care of me. I know it's a burden for him but what am I supposed to do about it? If I could change how things went, I would. But I just... can't.

"David! After you get done with the floors, father said to do the oven next." my older brother Jay demanded.

"I bet he told YOU to do it and you're making ME do it because you're too lazy to do anything around here!" I rolled my eyes folding my arms across my chest.

He rolled his eyes mimicking my action. "It's not like you have anything better to do. All you do is read. You should get your head out of the books and be a man for a change. Come work at the factory with me."

I could feel myself cringing. "Why? So I can do your work at your job too? I bet you wouldn't even pay me." I said with an attitude.

"Forget it. Father also said to clean my room or you won't be allowed to go to the lake anymore." he said poking his tongue out at me like a child.

"That's not fair! There's no way he would say that! Don't you know how bad your socks smell!?" I said holding my nose and waving my hand as if I could smell his socks now.

He ignored my childish actions while he turned around to face the front door. He looked over his shoulder to face me. "See you later little bro. I'll be back in 2 hours and it better be done by then."

"Where are you going?"

"Don't worry about it."

Jay is the type of guy to act all responsible around the adults but in reality I'm the one taking care of his responsibilities. He's 20 years old and yet he hasn't got accepted into college yet. Though I doubt it'll happen. He has a job at the metal factory in the city. We live in a small town in Florida. It's decent here but I don't have any friends.

I finish mopping the floors of our small home and head into the kitchen to clean out the oven.

"Gross."

It was so bad. There were black crumbs and spilled whatevers all around the oven floor. I started to scrub it with soap and water. I was tired of this life. I wanted a change. I started to fantasize about my life as an adult. I'd be rich and live on a beautiful island with a house along the beach. I'd travel whenever I could and go wherever I wanted. Iceland, Brazil, Spain, Australia. It would be so much fun.

I grabbed my journal and started to write down all of my fantasies and forgot to keep track of the time. It was dark before I realized and I rushed to my brothers room to start cleaning.

There was trash everywhere! You would think he threw a hundred parties in here. In no time, I grabbed a large trash bag and began to throw everything in. I was moving so fast I didn't hear the front door open. My brother walked in.

"What the fuck. You haven't finished yet?!" Jay exclaimed as he looked across his room at the mess that was not fully clean.

"I- I was distracted." I said shyly rubbing the back of my neck with my hand.