Jon Venables + Robert Thompson

A pair of troubled but not considered delinquents 10-year-olds abducted, tortured and ruthlessly killed a toddler in 1993 Liverpool, becoming the youngest convicted murderers of the 20th century.

In the early afternoon of Friday February 12, 1993, young mother Denise Bulger decided to accompany her brother's girlfriend Nicola to shop at the New Strand Shopping Centre in Bootle, Merseyside, England, bringing her almost 3-year-old son James, as she always did. That day, James was full of energy and his mother tried her best to keep him quiet despite of his efforts to get free and play around. Until they reached their final stop of their shopping day: the butcher's shop. She got distracted just for a minute while paying the butcher and James was gone. Denise panicked and went to the security office seeking help to find her son, whose name and description were announced over the loudspeakers... all in vain. She called the police and the search for James Bulger began..

James's disappearance made the evening news and after one report that he was spotted by the Liverpool canal, investigators planned to drag its waters, meanwhile authorities watched the security videos taken at the shopping centre, hoping to catch ...

James's disappearance made the evening news and after one report that he was spotted by the Liverpool canal, investigators planned to drag its waters, meanwhile authorities watched the security videos taken at the shopping centre, hoping to catch a glimpse of James's abductor. They found what they were looking for, but they realized with disbelief that they were not dealing with an adult. The low-resolution CCTV footage showed two young boys taking James by the hand and leading him out of the shopping centre at 3:42 pm. Hoping that someone would recognize them, the police released the video stills of the boys to the media to be shown on television and in the papers. More searches were organized both in the canal and on land for the following two days, until the gruesome discovery.

Four boys who went up to the Walton railroad to look for footballs on Sunday afternoon found on the tracks what at first they thought was a cat, then a doll, torn into two by the train. It was James's corpse. He had been laid by the waist onto the rail, with his upper body on the inside of the tracks, hidden within the coat. The lower half, completely undressed, had been carried further down the tracks. James had been severely tortured and beaten around the head and possibly sexually assaulted, since investigators suspected that some AA batteries found close to the body were inserted into his anus and the pathologist later reported that his foreskin had been forcibly retracted. On one cheek, a patterned bruise appeared, which indicated the imprint from a shoe. The toddler suffered so many injuries that none could be isolated as the fatal blow. It was concluded that he was still alive when left on the tracks, but already dead when the train hit him. More evidence found nearby the crime scene included a tin of blue paint, a heavy iron bar with bloodstains on it, bricks and stones, also covered in blood.

The police held press conferences showing some of the evidence to find witnesses and checked Friday's absentee lists from schools, convinced that the two young abductors captured on the CCTV cameras were teenagers. Many parents called the station to report their own kids as suspects until police received a call from an anonymous woman, reporting that her neighbour's son, who resembled one of the boys in the video, had blue paint on his jacket sleeve and had skipped school on Friday with his friend.