A Friend's Care

Yes I know this is very late. But things are really rough right now. 

And also... if you squint I'm testing out a new ship that has been revealed to me by other fans. I'm hesitant about it, it's cute but I never figured myself into that. So I don't know how comfortable I would feel about writing about this particular ship. I'm not saying what it is, if you squint and are already a fan of this pairing, then you will be able to see for yourself. Personally I don't think that pairing is right for this particular book but... eh you never know.

"Hey... you gotta eat something bud."

Wally was pushing a sandwich across the bed, hoping that he would at least get a response even if Dick didn't eat it.

But he kept his head down and his eyes stayed closed.

He's been trying to get him to eat for over twenty minutes. Behind him were piles of little snacks, all uneaten.

Wally figured that maybe he wanted something more than a snack so he ran downstairs and threw together a normal sized sandwich.

But he wouldn't budge for that either.

Wally sighed and just flung the sandwich behind him, scattering the peices and cracking the plate.

Wally internally winced.

That was one of Aunt Iris's favorites!

Dick visibly flinched at the noise and slowly laid down, legs curling inward.

With the way he was acting, Wally couldn't help but think of an abused and beaten dog.

His eyes were dead... if you didn't know him before he became depressed and sick then you would never have known his eyes were ever blue.

They say the eyes are the window to a creature's soul. And with eyes like that... 

Maybe food isn't what he needs...

He carefully walked over to the bed and sat on the opposite side of Dick.

Wally opened his mouth to say something when Dick suddenly lifted his head up.

Dull eyes meeting vibrant ones.

He didn't say anything. His facial expression said it all and Wally quickly shut his mouth again.

Talking would have to wait.

Instead, Wally grabs the remote on the closest nightstand.

Ghost Busters was the first thing that appeared.

This will work...

Oh. Right as the green marshmallow ghost appears.

That one has always made me want marshmallows... Mmmm...

Fifteen minutes into the movie is when Dick makes a small sound. A strangled whimper, as if he's trying to hide it. 

And then Wally notices the red smears oozing from the gauze on his wrists.

"Oh God Dick!"

Wally speeds into the guest bathroom, furiously looking for the emergency med-kit when he realizes it was right in front of his face as soon as he opened the cabinet!

Shaking his head and mentally kicking himself for being an idiot, he quickly wets a few rags and speeds back to Dick's side.

He's... sleeping? He was awake just a minute ago. Unless...

Wally winced. He was just hoping it was exhaustion that knocked him out and not the pain. 

Well, awake or not his wrists needed care. But he also desperately needed his rest.

Wally carefully held his friend's wrist. He was unbelievably tense.

Sighing, Wally rubbed circles into Dick's hand, making sure he hit all the pressure points. He couldn't tend to his wrists with that much tension after all.

When he finally relaxed, and making sure he was still asleep, Wally carefully unwound the gauze.

What he saw made him want to cry.

He obviously knew they were deep, due to knowing how much he bled, but...

Cyborg was right-- survival shouldn't have been possible.

They were deeper than he thought and they were sure to leave nasty scars. They might even need stitches.

He hesitates with the rag at first but finally lays it down on the burning flesh. He wants to look away as the rag soaks up the blood but he just couldn't. 

Just as well as Wally believes he deserves to see this. He still blames himself for everything that has happened. 

If Dick must endure the physical and mental scars then Wally could at least be a witness and help him through it.

He gently cleans the wounds and carefully wraps them in clean gauze, this time adding an extra layer. Just to be safe.

When his wrists are finally wrapped, Wally moves Dick into a, hopefully, more comfortable position on the bed. Wrists laid gently at his sides and blanket covered to just above his waist. 

Just when Wally finally starts to calm down the front door is suddenly heard slamming open. 

Wally's blood turns cold. He wasn't keeping an eye on the time!

Footsteps are heard coming up the stairs as Wally frantically speeds around the room trying to get rid of everything (aka shoving it all in the bathroom) and finally looks at his still sleeping friend.

Someone knocks on his door and he quickly throws an extra blanket over Dick and jumps onto the bed next to him, trying to block his body with his own.

As soon as that's done his door opens up to reveal Barry.

"Hey Wally I got you a jumbo hot chocolate with extra whip cream and-- what are you doing?"

"Oh you know-- just chilling! Haha... uh Uncle Barry?"

Barry's eyes go from Wally to the poorly hidden lump behind him.

A moment passes and Barry's face morphs into one of sadness. But also understanding.

Sighing, he sets down the drink on the dresser. He crosses his arms and suddenly looks tired himself. 

After another tense moment, he suddenly turns around and heads out the door. 

"Dinner is in an hour. I'll make sure we make extra food. And Wally?"

His uncle stops and looks back into the room. Wally could hear his heartbeat drumming in his ears.

"I won't tell him. Not yet."

He shut the door behind him. 

Wally didn't move, he could hear his aunt and uncle having a hushed conversation downstairs.

He turns to his side, facing Dick, and removes the blanket.

He's still asleep!

Wally rubbed a hand over his face and closed his eyes, leaning back onto the pillows.

"I'm sorry Dick. I am so sorry."

That was short...

*slowly moves laptop to the side and bangs head on desk*

"Ow..."