69 | ACT IV, SCENE VIII

P R E V I O U S L Y

Angry and half in love and tremendously sorry, I walked away from him.

HARTINGTON CASTLE, ALNWICK, STORMHOLT.

EDWINA

I SAT INSIDE A CIRCLE of fire.

Red and deadly and angry, the flames were ten metres tall in some places, burning more intense and hotter than any fire I had ever known.

I cried.

I tried to drown my sorrows, but the bastards learnt to swim.

I had hit the point in my life where I just gave up. I fought. I tried. But nothing fit back into place. The demons screamed louder, threatening to eat away the rest of me. And this time, I didn't hold them back.

But I knew I would never hold back the love I had for Tristan Valmont.

Because he had his hooks in me so deep that I could never shake him off. My heart was filled to the full with all I felt for him, and I knew that one day, if I managed to still be alive, I'd still hope and try and wish that he would love the wretched creature that was me again. After all this was over, perhaps he'd forgive me. Even try to love me.

And perhaps, I'd be long gone from Endollon by then. Reunited with my mother. No more pain, no more fights. I wondered if he would think about me.

I knew it had pained him to let me go. I knew he didn't want to let me go.

How did I become this, I wondered. I used to be strong. Strong enough to earn what I deserved and brave enough to face my destiny. I was not this cracked thing that wept in corners at the slightest provocation. No, I wasn't.

I was the Tremayne Phoenix.

They could betray me, hurt me, set me aflame and watch me burn. But they would not, could not, destroy the fire that burned in me. Because I, like Endollon, was born from blood and steel, and I, like the Tremayne phoenix, would rise up and eat alive the very flames that burnt me to ashes.

It could fall down. I could lose that spark. But I had to make sure, absolutely make sure that I rose as the whole damn fire.

I could not sit, waiting for some knight in shining armour to come and save my life. I had to save myself.

Cosmo had three rings. One to each of the worlds. I would find them. I'd get the rings and go to Seattoria and destroy the Titans. I'd find myself a place to belong in. Not this wretched country. I would burn the whole of Endollon down with my fires if it came to that. Or I would draw out its heat and freeze it to death, even if the strain of using so much power would kill me.