chapter twenty four

Raphael's POV
"I'm sorry" I mutter again.  She edges backwards away from me, her hands covering her mouth.  Her back hits the waiter who is serving drinks around, he stumbles and all the drinks pours on emiliana.  A loud gasp escapes from her as well as the crowd as the wine stains her dress and quickly spreading over her.

She stumbles backwards and as I attempt to catch her, but before I can reach her, someone's hand grabs her.

It's Daniel!

He is not longer wearing his jacket but is left in his white shirt and trousers.

"just let her be, you have already done enough" he says quietly but I can hear the disgust in his voice.  He takes emiliana by the hand and quietly leads her outside, she turns back frequently and our eyes meet before she is finally gone.

I look down at my hand which is still outstretched, then my eyes start to sting me.  Tears sting the corner of my eye, clenching my fist and my jaw, I look up to the eye if many people watching me expectantly.

"son, come up here" mom's voice comes loudly again.  I take slow strides to the high podium mother is smiling. She is smiling wickedly but manages to mask it with a better smile.

Amanda isn't smiling, instead, she looks unhappy. She clenches the dress she's wearing and manages to put on a small smile.

"I present to you our about to wed couple.  They will get to know each other better and learn how to be a good couple" mother finishes and walks down the high podium.  everyone claps.

"I'm sorry this happened " Amanda says approaching me.  She has a wide grin plastered on her face and I wonder how well she tries to cover her emotion.

"it's okay it's not your fault" I say but my voice sounds distant.

"you look like a kid who lost his candy " she whispers pulling me down to her height and hugging me.  A low sigh escapes from her mouth and I know she's trying hard not to cry.  My hands tighten around her and I bury my face in her neck.

"you are the best girl in the world" I mutter and she scoffs before pulling away.

"I guess you are forgetting someone " she laughs and I see the the tears in the corner if her eyes.

"after her" I agree.

"they look so in love" someone coos and we turn to look at them.  Mrs Peters and Mrs Elliot standing with my mom.

"of course, they are always all over each other" mother laughs.

"I could have sworn there was a mix-up. I thought the lady he loved was the one that bumped into the tray" Mrs Elliot Say twirling her wine glass in her hand.

"and that look at the end,  it looked like a soap Opera " mrs Peters agrees placing her ring clad hand on Mrs Elliot's shoulder.

"mother I need to talk to you" I say to mother while the other two women continued talking. I give a slight nod to Amanda and she gives me an encouraging smile.

Mother leads me to the corner of the hall where few people are standing and where the food and drinks are.

"great show" I say as we come to a halt.

"same goes for you" she sneers turning to look at me.

"why did you do that? " I start taking a glass of wine from a waiter that passed by. The more I try to figure out why my mother is doing such,  the more my head hurt.

"you just won't listen to your mother would you? " she places her hand on my cheek but I shrug it off.

"stay out of my life" I say through gritted teeth.