~28~

Edited

  "When so many are lonely as seem to be lonely, it would be inexcusably selfish to be lonely alone."

~~~~~~

I could feel the blood draining from my face.

I felt like my heart had stopped beating.

My eyes flickered to the gun Nichole was pointing in my direction.

"What are you doing Nichole?" I forced my voice to sound even.

"What does it look like I'm doing? I'm pointing a gun at you." She sneered.

I held up a hand towards her. "Just calm down. You don't want to do anything you'll regret later." I told her calmly.

She chuckled coldly. "You think I'll regret killing you?" Her eyes narrowed. "I've wanted to kill you since the first time I saw you with Hunter three years ago."

She shook her head sadistically. "It's your own fault really. You just don't get it do you?" She took a step towards me. "Hunter is mine." She snarled.

The crazed look in her eyes made me take a step back.

Suddenly, she giggled. "You know when I first saw Hunter I just knew that I had to have him. He was so perfect. I learned everything about him; where he lived, where he studied, what he liked. I begged daddy to let me finish high-school in Winston High, it took a little convincing but he finally agreed. I did all that so I could be with Hunter. I still remember my first day. I'd been so excited to see Hunter, I'd even come early." Her expression suddenly hardened. "But when he finally came I saw his arms around another girl. My Hunter had his arms around another girl, he had his arms around you!" Her eyes flashed "You just had to ruin everything, didn't you Scarlett? I saw the two of you together tonight. You still haven't learned your lesson. Hunter is mine!"

My eyes had widened in disbelief.

"You need help Nichole. This-this isn't normal." I stepped towards her. "Please put down the gun and let me help you." My voice was soft.

A crazed laugh escaped her lips. "I don't need your help. In fact in a few seconds you're going to be too dead to help anyone."

Her fingers slid over the trigger.

"Say goodbye Scarlett." She sneered.

My eyes squeezed shut.

This was it.

The end.

I could feel the tears trailing down my cheeks.

For so long I'd actually wished that I was dead. And now when it was finally happening, I'd give anything to live. I felt like I'd wasted precious moments of my life being ungrateful.

I don't want to die.

Why was this happening now?

Now, when finally things were getting better.

Funny how you start valuing something the second before it's about to be taken away from you. At that moment, I wanted nothing more than to stay alive.

"Please." I whispered to myself. It was a silent prayer.

Hunter.

For some reason my mind drifted to him.

I don't want to die.

"Scarlett?" I heard a familiar voice call out.

I sobbed in relief.