Chapter Twenty-Nine | Talking

When Darrel returned to the Palace, she entered the entrance to find Sebastian and David talking to three officers from Scotland Yard.
    "Ah!" David cried, "There you are."
    "I'm sorry," Darrel nodded.
    Sebastian sighed and turned to the officers, "Well, it seems that your services won't be needed."
    "Sorry to have wasted your time officers."
    "No worries your highness," one of them bowed, "just be on the safe side. Wandering off is dangerous for someone of your age and position."
    "Thank you, I shall keep that in mind."
    The officers bowed and left. Sebastian and David turned to glare at Darrel.
    "Do you have any idea how worried we've been?" David demanded.
    "I have been calling everyone for the past few hours!" Sebastian exclaimed.
    "Do you not understand your duties? You can't just walk off like that!"
    "At least leave a note!"
    "I'm sorry," Darrel said softly, a tear rolling down her cheek.
    "Sorry won't cut it!" David roared.
    "Please, stop yelling David. I am so sorry."   
    At this point, Darrel was weeping. David gave his future brother-in-law an awkward look and left to go inform his parents of what had happened. Sebastian approached Darrel and took her hands into his.
    "Darrel," Sebastian whispered, "I'm sorry for yelling. I was just so worried."
    Darrel nodded, "I know...I'm sorry for leaving. But please, can we talk?"
    "Yes, of course."

    Darrel and Sebastian entered her bedroom and sat down on the bed. Darrel took a few deep breaths, to cease the crying.
    "Where did you go?" Sebastian inquired.
    "I'll tell you everything," Darrel informed, "but I don't want you to interrupt."
    "Fine."
    Darrel took another deep breath and told Sebastian that had happened at Grantham House between her and Charles Blake. Once she had finished, Sebastian wrapped her into his arms.
    "He's right," Sebastian sighed, "you don't have to be perfect."
    "I'm far from it," Darrel joked.
    "But you don't have to try to attain perfection. I want you to be yourself, because that is perfect for me."
    Darrel smiled and gave him a kiss on the cheek.
    "We don't have to get married," Sebastian reminded, "we can call it off."
    "No," Darrel replied, "I want to. I think I love you Seb."
    "Very well. But during our engagement period, if you wish to call it off, you just tell me, and I will leave. I won't fight."
    "Thank you Sebastian."
    "No problem. I just want you to be happy."
    Darrel nodded.
    "I think you should talk to their majesties," Sebastian suggested.   
    "What? No way!" Darrel cried.
    "Listen, I know it's hard, but I genuinely believe that you will be happier if you do."
    "It's not for much longer!"
    "You are stuck here for at least another year before you get to come to Spain."
    "Then we won't wait a year."
    "Darrel, I don't want you to do anything that you're going to regret. We are not getting married for at least a year, no exceptions."
    "Very well."
    Sebastian sighed.
    "You deserve to happy just as much as everyone else," Sebastian reminded, "stop trying to please everyone and allow yourself to be happy."
    "Stop sounding like Charles," Darrel groaned.
    "Well, Charles is very wise. Maybe you ought to listen to his advice."
    Darrel stood up and crossed her arms.
    "It's not easy for me to talk about myself," Darrel informed.
    "Yes, of course I know that darling," Sebastian nodded.
    "It was hard enough to talk to you! But I did, because you're my fiancé, and you have a right to know."
    "I am happy that you opened up to me..."
    "Maybe one day I'll be able to open up to their majesties, but not any time soon, and I need you to respect that."
    "Fine. But, I do think you need to talk to Lord Grantham."
    "I can't do that just yet."
    "Darrel..."
    "I was cruel to him!" Darrel cried, "I told him that his opinion didn't matter! He'll never forgive me. I don't know if I can forgive myself!"
    Sebastian got up and have her a hug.
    "He will forgive you," Sebastian assured.
    "How do you know?" Darrel snapped.
    "Because he will want to."
    Darrel gave him a smile, "Thank you Seb."
    "No problem. Please come to me when you need to talk. Don't run off. That is my one request as your fiancé."
    "Very well."
    The two of them shared a kiss.
    "I'll head up to Downton tomorrow," Darrel announced.
    "Want me to come?" Sebastian offered.   
    "No. I'm going to talk to Lord Grantham as his daughter, and not as the Princess of Wales. It will be easier without you there."
    "Call me when you get there if you need me."   
    "I will. Thank you."