Back Home

Flashback

It wasn't as awkward as I would have thought to wake up lying half on top of Nik. Thankfully, I didn't drool or anything equally embarrassing.

"Morning," Nik murmured, looking down at me with a sleepy look.

I grinned up at him and raised my head to lay it on my hand "Hey."

"Did you sleep well?"

"Hm," I hummed, shimmying up to press a small kiss to his lips "I did actually."

Nik tugged at my hair lightly and pulled me into a slightly deeper kiss "You have no idea how happy I am to be able to do this."

"I think I might have an idea," I murmured.

He pecked my lips again and shifted me off of him "Let's go get some breakfast, shall we?"

Scene Change

On my last day in New York, I was standing in front of a huge portrait. There were six people in there and each one looked better than the next. Nik was standing just behind a chair with a blonde girl in it. On either side of him were two more guys. The far right was taken by a long-haired man with serious brown eyes. He looked to be the oldest of the lot. Then there was another man who looked only a few years younger, looking pretty similar to the first guy. Nik was standing on his left. On Nik's left was another male. This one looked the same as the first two with mischievous brown eyes and a small smirk. The last one was the youngest of them all. A boy around fourteen or fifteen if I had to guess "Who are they?" I asked quietly, looking over my shoulder at the vampire.

"You've gotten good at that," he complimented, coming closer "Sensing when people are behind you." His arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me back into his chest "That's my family. My siblings."

I leaned my head against his shoulder and turned to look up at him "You have siblings?"

"Yeah. I do..." he looked at the painting for a moment before sighing "From right to left it's my older brothers Finn and Elijah, then me and my younger brothers Kol and –" Nik broke off and cleared his throat "And Henrik. He died when we were human."

I turned around and wrapped my arms around his neck to pull him down to my level "Nik, I'm so sorry. You were close?"

"Yeah," he breathed "It's my fault."

"No, Nik," I told him firmly "I don't know what happened but it's not your fault."

He laughed tearfully – The fact that he was so close to tears was actually freaking me out a bit. I wasn't good with crying people "Yes, it is. If I hadn't taken him to see the wolves turn into men then he wouldn't have died."

"Have I ever told you about Cedric?" I spoke up, looking at him.

"Who is he?" Nik frowned.

I grabbed his hand and lead him to the living room couch "It's a long and complicated story. I think in a way, I liked him? Maybe? I wasn't too good at figuring out my emotions back then. There was a competition and we were both competing for the same school. Cedric was in another house though... I – The last task something happened. We both took the cup for a shared victory but something went wrong. He was killed... I saw him die right in front of me... And I did nothing."

"What happened?" the vampire questioned, drawing me into a tight hug.

"This is going to sound unbelievable but... You know the Harry Potter books, right?" I questioned, waiting for him to nod "I told you that the Gilbert's adopted me, right? My name before I came to them was Angel Potter... I'm a witch, Nik."