Chapter 15

Zaria's POV

Inter-house sport was a week away and it's already the day for the heat. Everyone was under the coloured canopy indicating each person's house. Limes Light sport gears are the best. Everyone gets a pair of track suits and full set of Jersey depending on your house and customized spikes for athletes and sport converse for everyone as you get admitted into the school because no one would change their house till they leave. I have been in red house since JSS1.

After the warming up and all, we began with all the activities. I was representing my house for 2×100 meters and 8×100 meters race and also in long jump. I was also representing for 100 meters but we won't run that until the D-day.

All athletes in my house sat down at the side of the bleachers designated for just our house as coach fired us up.

"See guys. We have always been the second position and we are always down one tiny gold but this year it's gonna change. We are getting the big cup. Do you understand?!" He screamed.

"Sir! Yes, sir!" We all replied. The physical and health education teacher giving the role of a commentator picked up the microphone.

"2×100 meter boys and girls, we need you on the field now." He announced.

"Go out there and make me proud." Coach Brian said.

We all traded high fives, changed into our Jersey and walked to the field in the middle of the stadium where all of sat on the floor. Other houses came to join and every athlete for each house sat together. I felt someone settle beside me and looked to see Joel.

"Are you ready to run your first race at Limelight?" I asked him when he looked at me. He chuckled in response.

"More like nervous." He exhaled as he tied the lace of his spikes. "I've seen the way these guys run. They are beasts on tracks. Have you seen Kelvin? That guy is mad!" Joel let out an exaggerated exclamation and I laughed.

"Don't be scared. I'm sure you'll do great. Your timing is pretty close to mine so you will be okay." I teased him,  patting his shoulder and he looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

"Is that supposed to be a compensation? Because that doesn't make me feel any better." He said and I laughed again.

"You are okay, Joel Bamidele. Trust me on that." I told, trying to reassure him. He looked at me for a while and I saw a glint in his green iris for a split second before I looked away.

I'm trying so hard to keep it together. But mehn, this guy isn't making it any easy for me.

How can he look at me that way and expect me to breath? I need to bring up another discussion.

"Uhm, since exams are over now, have you asked Ada out?" I asked, keeping my eyes on the grass beneath my feet. I heard him let out a groan and I looked at him.

"Can you not bring Ada up for once into our conversation?" He asked me calmly, his lips pulled up in a smile but I could hear the edge in his voice. I laughed softly.

"Why not? I have to keep reminding you." I told him and he rolled his eyes in response.

I have to keep reminding myself.

"I remember, Zaria. I haven't forgotten and yes, you can remind me but you don't have to bring her into every of our discussions. It's like you feel obligated to do so." He pointed out and I sighed.

"I am obligated to do so. We are friends. I'm supposed to be her wing man, you known. I'm sorry if it makes you uncomfortable." I quickly apologized, not wanting to argue any further.