Chapter 7

Chapter 7

"And then he kissed me goodnight on the front step!" Jenna finished dramatically, staring at me all gooey eyed. That was the part where I was meant to be really girly and 'aw' with her, but with her date being Dean, I couldn't possibly muster up any cute thoughts of him.

Jenna sighed, cocking her head to the side with a small smile.

"Right, what's up?" she asked. Just as I was about to tell her 'nothing', Carter dropped onto the floor next to us with his sandwich.

"Dean's a dickhead, that's what's up," he explained. Jenna groaned, clipping the back of his head and glaring at him.

"He's not! If you went on a date with him then you'd be in awe of him, too!" she insisted. Carter's look of disbelief mirroring my own. After taking a bite of his food and swallowing, he laughed.

"Even I'm not that gay. I'm more of the sweet and sensitive type," he cooed, giving her a flat look.

"I wish you was gay," Jenna said with a pout, watching Blue run around the field. Carter let out a bark of laughter.

"I wouldn't dare. The population of girls would be too sad, I couldn't do that to them," he drawled, placing his hand on his chest in mock sincerity. Jenna chuckled.

"Too relieved, more like," I cut in and Carter shot me a glare, stuffing the crust of his sandwich in his mouth.

"Why do you want me to be gay, anyway?" he asked through his mouth of food. My nose scrunched up with digust of the sight and Jenna rolled her eyes.

"Because you wouldn't be all bitchy or steal my boyfriend," she listed and I scoffed, raising both of my eyebrows.

"I'm not that bad, am I?" I teased, causing her to clamp her hand over her mouth.

"Not you. Eurgh, you guys know what I mean, most girls are like that," she rambled, trying to recover. Carter watched us, amused before coughing to let us know that he was still there.

"If I was gay, I'd still be able to steal your boyfriend, love. I mean, with these looks, this attitude," he drawled and Jenna smirked, throwing her phone at his chest.

"Get over yourself," she huffed, picking a dorito from a bowl between us and stuffing it in her mouth.

The bowl was meant to be kept from Carter and we'd planned on eating them without him knowing. It was something that Jenna and I had done since we were kids because Carter's stomach was never ending, he ate all day, everyday and always stole some of our food if he ran out.

Carter's eyes fixed on the bowl, his body already leaning forward. Jenna's hand slapped his arm and tusked, pushing the bowl back behind my back.

"Mitts off. What's your problem with Dean, anyway? Jealous?" she asked and Carter's brow furrowed.

"Definitely not, he's a jerk," he retorted, leaning back against the fence posts. I sighed, moving back to rest on my elbows, letting the sun gently caress my face.

"Why are you so set on him being so horrible? He was sweet and kind last night," Jenna defended, crossing her arms over her chest. My expression of disbelief mirrored Carter's but when he opened his mouth, I shot him a warning look.

"Because he was giving me crap, Carter didn't like it. Just," I paused, taking a deep breath. "Be careful around him, okay?"

Jenna looked at me for a moment, studying my face and then sighing. Her blue eyes searched my face before she shook her head.