Keeper of the Lost Cities, Chapter 20

"You must be lost."

The boy's deep voice brought her out of her trance. He wore a green Level Four uniform, and was sprawled across a bench, watching her with curious, ice blue eyes.

She blinked, noticing the hallways were stark white now. "How'd you know?"

———

His lips twisted into a crooked grin. "You're the new girl, aren't you?"

She sighed and nodded.

"I'm Keefe."

"Sophie—but I'm sure you already know that."

———

From his disheveled blond hair to the way he'd rolled up his sleeves and left his shirt untucked, she could tell—he was cool. Probably popular, too. So why was he talking to her?

———

"...Lady Belva has the worst crush on me. I mean, I really can't blame her"-he gestured to himself-"but still, it's awkward, you know?"

She was 90 percent sure he was joking, but he was also very good looking. She was sure at least half the girls in school had a crush on him.

———

"And now I get to meet the mysterious new girl," he added. "So I'd say ditching paid off pretty well."

She felt herself blush, and hoped he didn't notice. "I'm hardly mysterious."

———

He winked. "Still I wouldn't mention that we're friends if I were you"

Friends?

Since when did cool, cute boys want to be her friend? Not that she was complaining...

———

"What brings you here today, Keefe?" Elwin asked.

"Just helping a fellow prodigy, sir."

Elwin grinned. "I notice you've had to miss your session to do it."

"I know. Such a shame." He sighed dramatically. "But Sophie needed help, so what could I do?"