Buddies

Waking up groggily, Judith rolled out of bed dramatically with a yawn and a long stretch. Her tan arms attempted to escape from her body as she tried to reach the ceiling with her efforts.

She slipped into the closet to pick out  a loose tank top and knee length comfortable shorts. Not very flattering, but she didn't really need to dress up for her job. She had to wear a uniform over her clothes anyways.

Moving over to the bathroom as she hummed a little tune. She turned the knob all to the left. She loved the heat, partially due to the fact that she had an affinity with fire.

After she had gotten clean, she stepped out of the shower and began to blow dry her damp hair. Using her right hand and her left elbow to wrap a towel around her wet body. She quickly brushed her teeth and walked down to the kitchen.

"Good morning Judy! I've been up making you breakfast. It's your favorite! Eggs and bacon." Judith winced at her aunt calling her Judy. It was a name she hated since childhood. Her mother's estranged sister had agreed happily to take her in when Judith's mother died. Laurie was her name, and she was the exact opposite of her niece.

She was outgoing and loud, whereas Judith barely chilled below the radar of humanity.

"Um, thank you very much Auntie, but I really got to get going. If I'm late for my job after this long of a fu- er- freaking break I'll be fired for sure." Judith continued to walk at a brisk pace past her disappointed aunt.

"Ahem, how about a goodbye hug?" Laurie stretched her stubby arms as far as they could go to envelop Judith in a bone crushing hug. Judith froze in place and closed her eyes in slight annoyance.

"She means well, she's just annoying as hell." Judith mentally laughed. This was a little rhyme she used for her eccentric and loving aunt. Judith's mom had been scared to even touch her let alone hug her. So she wasn't exactly used to the attention. Turning around she gave her aunt a short yet meaningful hug.

Laurie kissed her head a little too long for Judith's liking and she broke the awkward embrace and raced towards the door. Not without snatching a pear from the small dangling fruit basket on the kitchen counter. She yelled goodbye at her aunt and began to walk anxiously to her job.

She shoved her small worn ear buds into her ears and listened to music on the way.

"Mind over matterrr." She sang to herself, slightly off key. She hummed the rest of the song as she continued to walk into the bustling streets of eastern Florida. The sounds of the various cars and radios didn't bother Judith as she kept her pace. Finally turning the corner to reach the, "Seafood Shack." She saw a girl her age outside with a cigarette and a lighter that refused to light.

Judith recognized the girl as her friend Shiloh. Shiloh was a little experiment of Judith's mother. She wanted to see if she could get Judith to have one friend. Somebody who could watch her back. Without having to know about her power. Of course, that didn't really work out, Shiloh found out about Judith's little gift and didn't really care. Her jet black hair fell perfectly straight down her back. Almost reaching her rear. She cursed to herself as she couldn't seem to get her blood red lighter to work.

"Damn thing, never can get this fucker to light shit." Shiloh threw the lighter into traffic and huffed. Judith looked both ways for any witnesses and lit Shiloh's cigarette for her.

Shiloh's calf brown eyes lit up with the cigarette. "Fuck, I keep forgetting that you can do that. Bad ass Jude."

"I know."

"Anyways, whatcha listening to?"

"Um, right now I'm listening to Marina and the Diamonds." Shiloh motioned to Judith to give her one of her ear buds. Judith rolled her eyes but gave her the right bud. Shiloh placed it into her triple pierced ear and the two walked into the restaurant. Taking a long final drag on her cigarette, Shiloh threw it reluctantly into the trash.

"Shouldn't you put that out first?" Shiloh scoffed, "You're the freaky chick with the inferno powers and your lecturing me on fire safety?"

"I wasn't lecturing." Judith mumbled. "Simply just warning you, I can't pull your ass out of every heat related incident you get yourself into."

Slipping into their nametags and t shirts, Shiloh opened her mouth to fire back a witty retort, but she was stopped by their dim witted manager. Shiloh and Judith nodded along to his words. Not really processing what he was saying. Something about insect repellant and rotted fruit?

The day passed the both of them in a blur of passive customers and rehearsed dialogue. Shiloh and Judith escaped from the piss hole of a restaurant and walked together to Shiloh's condo.

"Welcome to casa de Shiloh." She said with a rather monotone voice.

If you like the story so far, please vote and comment!