❝ it was over my head ❞

(unedited)

And I am feeling so small,
It was over my head,
I know nothing at all.
And I will stumble and fall,
I'm still learning to love,
Just starting to crawl.

"Say Something" -A Great Big World (ft. Christina Aguilera)

"You're at the police station?" Kaden repeated. "Why?"

I hesitated. Figures the one time Kaden's freaky all-knowing powers failed him is the one time where I was hoping he was would already know and I wouldn't have to explain everything. "Ashton got arrested."

There was only silence on the other end.

"Kaden?"

He didn't reply.

"Did you pass out or something?" That would be a pretty extreme reaction of Kaden, but who knew? He wasn't responding, and it wasn't exactly good news.

"I didn't pass out," he said, sounding annoyed. He sighed. "What happened?"

"I don't really know," I admitted.

"Was he caught driving while drunk?" he asked.

"What? No." Then I realized that we were definitely not on the same page. I had figured that Kaden would make the right conclusion as to what happened, though I guess it wasn't really the first thing you'd assume. "They think he killed Olivia."

There was another long pause.

"Kaden?"

He didn't reply again this time.

"Are you there?"

I was beginning to believe that he really had passed out this time.

I was just about to hang up and possibly try calling again, or calling Raine in case Kaden was unconscious in his office when Kaden suddenly came back on. "I'm on my way," he said.

"Don't be on your phone while you're driving," I heard Raine say in the background. "We don't need you in jail too."

Kaden's voice was slightly muffled as he called back. "I won't. Love you!"

"Love you too!" Raine yelled back, though she sounded farther away than before. I heard a door open then close.

"Are any of Ashton's friends there?" Kaden asked. I heard another door being opened and slammed, then the sound of a car starting.

"Yeah, Nathan and Detective Fallon are here," I told him, glancing around the room. Nathan had been my ride here, and Detective Fallon had already been waiting when we arrived. They were sitting in the far corner, deep in discussion.

Keira was also around here somewhere, but I didn't think she counted since she was probably being interrogated in some room in the back. Everyone else was still at the dance, I think; Nathan had said he would keep them updated on what was happening.

"Go wait in Shawn's office," he instructed.

I blinked. "What? Why? Is he even here tonight?"

"Yeah, I think he got called in." I heard the sound of him pulling out of the driveway.

"I thought Raine said not to drive while you're on the phone," I reminded him.

"I'm not going to be on it for very long. Wait in Shawn's office okay?" he repeated.

I sighed. "Fine. See you soon."

I hung up, then glanced at Nathan and Detective Fallon. They seemed pretty deep in conversation, so I headed to the front desk. "Hi, can I see Detective Shawn Whitlock, please?"