Chapter 13

Jennie arrived in her parent's driveway. She didn't know why, but she felt nervous about this dinner with her parents.

She felt even more uneasy about what they want to discuss with her about. Jennie pushed her thoughts to back of her mind, thinking that she was just worrying too much.

Getting out of the car, she walked towards the front door of her parent's home and opened it.

Jennie: Mom? Dad? I'm here!

Mrs. Kim stepped out from the kitchen and smiled at the sight of her daughter.

Mrs. Kim: Jennie-ah just in time, I just finished cooking. Your father is in the dining room.

Jennie took off her shoes and walked over to her mother and gave her a hug.

Jennie: How are you Eomma?

Mrs. Kim: I'm fine dear. How are you? You must be stressed these days with the opening ceremony rapidly approaching.

Jennie: I'm fine Eomma. Just a little tired is all.

Mrs. Kim smiled softly while brushing the strands of Jennie's hair behind her ear.

Mrs. Kim: Well it's a good thing I made all of your favorite food today. You better eat a lot.

Jennie: Of course I will.

Jennie glanced over the kitchen before turning back to face her mother.

Jennie: Do you need any help?

Mrs. Kim: Oh yes. Could you actually help me bring the egg rolls to the dining room?

Jennie nodded before picking up the plate and followed her mother out.

Jennie set the egg rolls onto the table and took her seat on her father's right, while her mother took a seat on his left.

Mr. Kim who had been reading his book, looked up and smiled his daughter before leaning over and softly kisses her cheek.

Mr. Kim: Hey pumpkin.

Jennie: Hey Appa. It's good to see you.

Mr. Kim: It's good to see you too Jennie.

Mr. Kim gave Jennie a tight smile, causing her to worry.

A second later, noticing the awkwardness in the room, Mrs. Kim broke the silence.

Mrs. Kim: Honey come one let's eat. Jennie-ah, eat a lot okay, I made this all for you.

Jennie: Thanks Mom.

•••

As dinner was coming to an end, Mr. Kim set down his utensils and calmly looked at Jennie.

Jennie nervously looked up, confused as to why her parents have been acting weird all night.

Jennie: Appa, is something wrong? What did you and mom want to talk to me about?

Mr. Kim shifted his eyes to his wife and exchanged a look that Jennie was unable to decipher. Jennie patiently sat in her seat and waited for her father to reply to her.

A few moments later, Mr. Kim turned back and faced Jennie.

Mr. Kim: Jennie-ah, your mother and I were wondering...

Jennie looked towards her parents anticipating their next words. Mr. Kim glanced at Mrs. Kim once more before continuing.

Mr. Kim: How would you feel about getting married?

The question caught Jennie completely off-guard, leaving her thoughts jumbled.

Jennie: What do you mean by getting married?