Chapter Thirty-Six

The night went on around them, cats in the alley taking shelter for the evening to get some rest, lights and lanterns going off around them as neighbours were preparing for bed, and the streets surrounding James and Renata were blanketed in a sile...

The night went on around them, cats in the alley taking shelter for the evening to get some rest, lights and lanterns going off around them as neighbours were preparing for bed, and the streets surrounding James and Renata were blanketed in a silence, making both of them feel like they were the only two people around for the time being. They had yet to move from the spot as Renata's back was still partially pressed against the front door with James standing in front of her. His fingers still made contact with her skin, whether he touched her hand or allowed one finger to trace against her jawline. Both of them knew they had to eventually go inside, but neither one of them dared to be the first one to break the scene.

It was a moment that Renata had been longing for even before she realised her attraction towards James. The sense of safety and comfort that James presented by standing before her was something that felt foreign but at the same time felt so good. She enjoyed the pressure of his body pressed against hers as he had gently pushed her against the door during their kiss. It had nothing to do with the sexual tension, it had to do with the sensation of being wanted in such a way. He wanted to be that close to her that he closed the gap in every way he possibly could at the time.

The way he had kissed her, if it had not been for the support of the door, she probably would have collapsed. She always thought it sounded rather silly in romance novels when a character claimed they were left weak in the knees, but she had the first-hand experience to now understand that it could be considered a true statement. It wasn't just the way he kissed her, it was paired with the way he looked at her before he kissed her. There was such an intensity that she believed every word when he claimed that he wanted to kiss her.

And not to mention, there was something about the way he said it, it was like he was asking permission to kiss her and he wouldn't allow himself to steal one until she confirmed that she was entirely comfortable with it.

That moment in itself was kiss-worthy alone.

The longer the two stood there, not saying anything, just looking at one another, they couldn't help but bring each other back into another kiss and another one after that. It was almost as if they were making up for lost time from all those moments where they had wanted to say or do something but felt too frightened or paranoid to act on it. As long as they were outside no one could interrupt them, no one could bother them, and if they wanted to believe it, no one could judge them.

For that, James and Renata took their time with saying goodnight and since Sirius wasn't coming to the door to check on them or even snoop, they had to assume that he wasn't even aware that they were back yet. Or if he was aware, he wasn't even daring to interrupt them, probably because he knew James or Renata would kill him as they had finally achieved the moment they had been after. They both didn't realise that both of them had confided their true feelings with Sirius and that he was actually the cause of the date, even though they should have put it together, considering he had dressed them up and had been conveniently been available to watch over Harry that evening.