21. S

Sun poured in through the windows. The beams illuminated the walls. The sky was cloudless. It was a gorgeous blue that looked as if someone had thrown ink to the wind and it had set in the heat. I knew that viewing the beach from this bed would be mesmerising. And it was. But being wrapped in Aiden's arms, that was what made the morning glorious.

We laid chest to chest, his arms engulfed me and he held my face, his thumb moving graciously across my cheek as he stared at me with soft adoration. Our legs were intertwined, the sheets tangled around us as the morning rays heated our exposed skin. I couldn't stop smiling. He was perfect. The night that we spent together was perfect. I didn't want to leave this bubble of perfection. 

"I haven't slept that well in such a long time," he murmured. His hair was disheveled and adorable but he did look well rested. "You're so beautiful Ari."

I blushed and snuggled in closer. Despite the fact that it was impossible because our naked chests were pressed together. I'd never felt more content, more safe, more appreciated. The way that he watched me, his gaze awestruck as though he were admiring art. It was like nothing that I had ever known before.

"How do you feel?" He questioned. "Are you okay?"

I smiled and felt my lip quiver as I realised just how happy I was. Last night was dark. I'd succumb to defeated thoughts. But the world was more colourful this morning. My chest felt lighter. My cheeks hurt. But it was a good kind of pain. The pain that came because I was smiling so hard. "I've never been better," I confessed with a quiet voice.

"Me either," he grinned. "But uh— what now?"

I was scared about the next step. There was no doubt about that. But I had a new sense of strength. I had the will to fight for myself. I knew that I had to go and report Desmond. I would do that and then I would pack my bags and leave. I knew that it wouldn't be as simple as never seeing him again. I didn't believe that he would let it go. But I would get through it. I had to.

"I'm going to leave Desmond," I said with a small voice. "I suppose I'll just um— well—"

"Come here?" Aiden questioned with a raised brow and hopeful expression. "I mean, we just slept together but I care about you Arian. I feel— well I don't want to scare you but if what I feel isn't love, I'm not far off."

I bit down on my lip and suppressed the urge to kick out with excitement. "I feel the same," I said with a breathless voice because I was attempting not to lose it.

"I have a spare room," he added. "It's yours. Ya know, I don't want to suggest that you move in after our first night together. But you'll need somewhere to go and I want to help. Like I said last night. Whatever you want."

I giggled. "Well we know how that ended up."

"I'm not complaining," he smiled, his hand on my back made small circles and I felt goosebumps raise as I shivered.

I still wasn't sure where the sudden bout of confidence came from last night. It might have been a mixture of seeing him half naked, being intoxicated by his scent and knowing that he was one of the sweetest but most dangerous men that I had ever met. It was a thrilling combination. Especially because I knew that he would protect me.

"Do you need me to come?" He said with concern. "He won't be an asshole will he?"

I winced but shook my head. "No. I'll be alright."

I accepted that Aiden did what he did for the greater good. But after much thought, I just knew that I couldn't be the reason that he killed him. I also didn't think that he would if I asked him not to.