30. U

A I DE N S • P O V

Wind whipped at Arian's hair. She sat in between my legs, her back to my chest. The moon shone on the waters surface, reflecting a luminous glow atop the rippling surface. The boat bounced as it sped around the island, towards the turtle release point.

We were among about another twelve people. Most were couples but there was a small friend group. One of the males in it kept glancing over at Arian. His hairline was borderline receding and chest hair was coming out of his neckline. As much as I didn't like the way that he kept glancing over at her, I couldn't blame him. I would have been as well.

We arrived at the turtle release point on the island and hopped off the boat beside the dock. Arian let me hoist her up because she was still in her tight dress. She left her big heels on the boat though and we walked hand in hand through the sand which had cooled under the moonlight. We arrived at a small space that was illuminated with lamps and staff who stood around a little pit in the sand where a dozen or so baby turtles were scuttling around with their fins.

Arian gasped and stared up at me with awe. "This is the most precious thing that I have ever seen."

I smiled. I knew that she would love it. She appreciated nature. She appreciated the stars and the sea. She appreciated flowers and the earths vibrant colours. She appreciated the finer details in life that a lot of people took for granted. It was such a wonderful thing to witness. And it had given me a sense of appreciation for such things as well. She'd opened my eyes so much.

The staff talked us through the process. Each group was given a baby turtle. We were able to name it and receive a photograph with it and all of the proceeds were given to a rescue retreat organisation that worked to protect sea life. That part seemed to be the most pleasing to Arian. We were given the certificate and a pen to scrawl our turtles name on the dotted line.

"What should we call our turtle?" I peered over Arian's shoulder while she held the clipboard in her hands.

She was quiet for a moment before she twisted and peered up at me. "What about Elijah?"

My stomach twisted into a knot and I felt my breath hitch as I stared down at her beautiful brown eyes. Elijah was my father's name. I'd told her that when she was in hospital. I was attempting to teach her how to play poker. Her third hand was better than the first two hands. But her poker face was terrible. She gave herself up so obviously and it was adorable. She'd asked where I learned how to play and I told her that Dad had taught me.

"What was your dad's name? He sounds like he was multitalented."

"Elijah. And uh yeah. He was brilliant at most things."

"That sounds perfect," I leaned in and kissed her. "You're thoughtful."

She shrugged a shoulder and glanced down at the clipboard before she scrawled the name on the dotted line. She had lost her parents too. I still wasn't sure how. She didn't seem to like talking about it a lot. But there was only one turtle and I doubt that she would have wanted to pick just one parent to name the turtle after.

We handed the clipboards back and the staff let us know that we'd get our certificates back with our photographs in a couple of days. That was when we were handed a little turtle and it was cute. Arian clenched her jaw with a quiet squeal and I let her hold it.

"Aiden," she cooed. "Look at him!"

"That one's a girl," the staff said as she held up a camera. "Stand together and smile!"

I wrapped an arm around Arian's waist and glanced down at the turtle before the flash lit up the beach for a brief moment. The flashes around the beach continued in quick concession. As soon as the staff moved on to the next person, Arian turned around with her jaw dropped.