1 - Y/N L/N

June of 1942

It's been about three years since the war started and I fear it'll never end. I guess we didn't learn the first time. We thought it was going to be "The War To End All Wars", yet here we are, fighting once again.

I've only heard stories about The Great War from my father. He had just turned 19 when he was drafted into the war in the year 1918. Now, at the age of 43, you can still see the fear in his eyes and I know it'll never leave him. Whenever we sit down together and he tells me stories from when he was in service, I try my best to write down every little detail because I don't want his stories to be forgotten. Men like my father might've survived the war, but the war left them with fear that's going to stay with them forever. The least I can do is keep note of his stories and pass them on, so people don't forget the hardships the soldiers at the time endured. 

It's hard to watch him recall what he saw because of the way he shakes and occasionally stops to calm himself down. It doesn't help that there's another war going on. His fear has grown because he's still eligible to be drafted into the war. If he's drafted and refuses, he could be sent to prison. 

I would take my father's place and fight for him if I could. Women aren't allowed to be on the battlefield though. With many of the men gone, we're left to run the factories and do the jobs that men usually do to help the war effort. Instead of helping the war effort at a factory, I really wanted to become a nurse, but because I'm only 19, I'm still not eligible. Besides that, it's been lovely seeing all of us women come together and working hard. Without us, our armed forces would have a harder time trying to win the war.

When I'm not busy with work, I usually spend my time around the radio or reading the daily newspaper trying to find out all the information I can about the war. My parents tend to joke that I should be out there looking for a husband rather than investing so much time doing research on the war. I laugh with them, but it doesn't always feel like a joke. I know my parents want me to start a family someday and I sure would love to, but I can't help but worry that I'll run off with the wrong man. What matters is I'm still young which is why I'm in no rush.