× Mr. Bean ( pt. 1 ) ×

According to viewers of the TV classic, which first aired over 25 years ago, there’s a specific reason why Mr Bean is so odd.

News.com.au  reports that, apparently, the titular character struggles to make sense of the world because he's not from it : he's an alien.

The wacky character, played by Rowan Atkinson, was the subject of an in - depth discussion over on Reddit, where his extraterrestrial background was fiercely debated.

One user observed: “At the beginning of an episode, you see a bright light appear on the ground and then it grows bigger and bigger until it stops and Mr Bean falls, which in my opinion, is a comical take on an alien being beamed down from a spaceship.”

Another viewer added that the theory would explain why Mr Bean never has anything like a normal interaction with anyone he meets.

What’s more, he always wears the same clothes, which some argue is because he has no idea how humans are supposed to dress.

And neither of the show’s creators, Rowan Atkinson and Richard Curtis, have ever denied the alien theory: in fact, they’ve fuelled it.

Back in 1997, Rowan Atkinson gave fans a hint about his character’s origins in an interview with The Buffalo News.

Speaking about his idea for an episode which was never made, he said: “He sees this spaceship landing in a field and he stops the car.

“He looks up and suddenly the door (lowers) and this bright light comes out of the spaceship and a Mr Bean walks out of the spaceship … and then another Mr Bean and they all shake hands and then 25 more Mr Beans all come out of the spaceship and pat him on the back and say ‘very nice to see you’.

“And then all the Mr Beans go up into the spaceship and the door goes up and that’s the end of Mr Bean.”