Chapter One

"Souls recognize each other by vibes, not appearances." 

~Anonymous

Hunter

"Earth to Calla!" I said, waving my hands in front of my friend, who seemed more interested in the grass we were sitting on rather than me. She blinked with a furious glare, and then snapped her head up, making her blonde curls dance.

"Was denn?" she replied in German, a language she knew I couldn't understand. Realizing the slip-up, she frowned. "Sorry, I was talking to..." her voice faded again, and her stare turned hazy. Sighing, I fell on my back and looked up at the clear blue sky.

A couple of moments later Calla fell next to me. Her eyes, a mix of green and gray, were now focused on me and she smiled sweetly.

"Fabian said he'll be flying here soon," she said, eyes glimmering with happiness.

"Did he now?" I replied, smiling back at her.

Fabian was Calla's boyfriend. She was one of the lucky few that managed to find their soulmates the moment they hit puberty. For others it happened at some point as they reached adulthood and for some it happened very late in life. Despite the research in the field, we still weren't sure how and when the telepathic bond formulated. But at least they said it happened when the people were ready to find each other.

Three years. It had been three years since the moment that I had realized I was ready. So, whatever my soulmate was figuring out, I hoped he was worth the wait. 

"You know... he could be very deep in the closet..." Calla muttered, following my train of thought. I sighed, agreeing with her in silence.

My eyes drifted to the bench on our left, where Noah was sitting. Both him and Calla had been my best friends since Kindergarden. We had met on the first day and had been inseparable ever since. He was currently having a video call with his soulmate, an Australian girl, named Lucy. They had met a little over a year ago.

"Just look at him. Look at how happy he is. I want that," I whined and closed my eyes.

"And soon you'll have it," Calla assured me and placed her head on my chest, all while draping an arm over me. "You will find him".

Not half a minute later, snickering made open my eyes. A few feet away, a group of people -if you could call them that- were laughing at us. Assholes, I thought and glared at them. Ever since Calla's last birthday, the laughs and whispers and stares had become a constant. Why? Because everyone had seen me making out with a college student. A male college student. And God forbid you were gay... oh wait, He does forbid it.

That group of friends made my stomach curl. The peppiest, douchiest, and for some reason most popular, students of our school. My gaze fell on the guy in the middle, Donovan Jacobs. Star soccer athlete and president of the students' body council. Seriously who voted for him? Next to him was a girl, whose name was Bethany Crawfield, who was also a member of the students' body. From where I sat though, she was the president of the club "Fake Is My Second Name". She was leaking fakeness, and to no one's surprise, she was Donovan's soulmate.

With them leading, the rest of the group was just as bad. The only one I wasn't so quick to judge was Alex. He wasn't as popular as the rest of them and he never showed any interest in picking on me or anyone for that matter. He never laughed, but he didn't stop them either, making him almost as bad as the rest of them.

I shifted underneath her, and Calla sat up, realizing we had become a spectacle. With gritted teeth Calla flipped them off, using both hands. My jaw dropped and I could hear some gasps from around us. I barked a laugh and then regretted it as Donovan and one of his friends started coming our way.

"Wanna do that again, bitch?" Matt, Donovan's friends, said. Calla seemed ready to bite his head off, but I beat her to it.

"Wanna call her that again?" I growled, rising to come face to face with him. I wasn't exactly vocal at school and it had nothing to do with shyness, I just didn't care enough to voice my opinion. That was until someone came for my friends. I drew the line there. 

"Excuse me?" Matt stuttered, clear that he was not expecting me to talk back.

"Wanna call her that again?" I repeated, as slow and stressed as I could. Matt, a guy about a head taller than me and way more muscular, exhaled amused, finally snapping back.

"Don't you have a little too much nerve for a fag?" As soon as that word fell from his lips I wanted to puke.

"Oh, you have no idea how much nerve I have," I replied instead, angrier than before.

Donovan took two steps back, not expecting my outburst. Though, Matt didn't seem too eager to back off now. At last, a hand tapped Matt's shoulder and we all turned to look at Alex.

"Come on, man... knock it off," he said, his voice hoarser than I had imagined. Matt looked at his friend, eyes filled with anger, yet Alex didn't take his hand off, nor did he take his eyes away. Finally, Matt huffed and walked away.

I let out a breath I wasn't aware I was holding. That's when I realized people were staring at us. Noah was standing next to Calla, with worry disturbing his bronze features. Bethany was the last one, excluding Alex, to turn around and leave from that group of friends.

"Stupid and brave," Alex muttered, running his gaze over me. Finally, he shook his head, placed a half-burnt cigarette to his lips and left.

One of my eyebrows shot up, both by his remark as well as his bad habit. How in God's name hadn't I taken notice of him smoking in the past four years? How had he managed to draw that little attention to himself?

"Well, that was fun. Let's never do it again," I said to no one in particular as I turned to my friends. The crowd started to dispense, and I was left rubbing my forehead. Hello there, headache.

"Yeah, I don't want to get that close to that homophobe ever again," Calla replied Noah, agreeing with her with multiple nods.

"Dude, you looked like you were ready to cut his head off," Noah said, crossing his arms in front of himself.

"I felt like I was about to do it," I muttered moments before the bell rang.

This had to be the most boring class ever. Biology. While I liked the subject, this teacher was the most sleep-inducing human being to ever exist. I gazed around, so bored that I couldn't even draw doodles in my notebook, and that's when I started to hear it. It was a soft hum at first, a melody from a kids' song to be exact. I looked around yet no one close to me seemed to be humming. A shiver ran down my spine and slowly started to build up into the relief of realization.

"I'm so bored, I'll kill them all, kill them all," echoed in my mind repeatedly. It was in the tune of "My Fair Lady" and I knew that voice. I had just heard that voice. I looked around and my eyes fell on Alex, who sat a few seats in front of me. No way.

"Trust me, it's not worth the jail time," I replied telepathically.