Chapter Seventeen

Drakewood forest appeared within the Dragons glass. Siobhan smiled at the sight of her mother walking through the empty path of the forest, passing the Drakewood Inn without a care. She'd never met her mother, Neve, but she'd seen enough pictures of her that the image was forever engrained in her mind.

Neve was ever the beauty in Siobhan's eyes. From the way she wore her hair in a high messy bun, to how she stood impeccably straight. There wasn't a single slump to her shoulders or arch to her back. Watching her walk through Drakewood forest was like watching a woman who owned the world and knew it.

Siobhan brushed her fingers against the Dragons glass, smiling at the way her mom had her hands resting on her belly even as walking. Her golden robes dragged against the dirt, leaving a trail in their wake. She stopped walking and stared straight ahead. Wind gently shuffled her robes and loose strands of her hair. Neve brushed a strand of hair behind her ear, her Draygon ring glinting in the light. Siobhan held her hand up to the mirror, staring at her ring. They were identical copies, as all rings in the Draygon royal family were.

"I am Neve of Draygon, wife to Marcus of Draygon. I wish to speak with the Witches of Drakewood and I know you can hear me."

The wind picked up as the forest rippled and the buildings of the hags faded into view. Neve said nothing to the two women standing out front of the bone-built building. She ascended the stairs and stepped inside. Five of the Witches of Drakewood stood behind the giant cauldron where Lady Lenore made the potion she'd given to Siobhan. In fact, nothing in the hut had changed. It was as if it had been frozen in time from that moment to when Siobhan set foot in it years later.

"Welcome, Mother of Draygon," the hags said in unison.

Neve looked to each of them, her eyes bouncing from one elegant copied face to the other. "It really is impossible to tell you apart when you don't want to be unique. Which of you is Lady Lenore?"

The hag in the center of the line stepped forward. She brushed both hands over her hair, it changed from a golden blonde to soft curls of red. When she bowed her head, Neve stepped forward, unhooking the buttons of her robe. Siobhan gasped when her mom disrobed in front the hags and placed her hands on the small bulge in her belly. Lady Lenore narrowed her eyes.

"You are with child."

Never nodded.

"But that's impossible. All of our spells and seeings showed you to be barren."

Neve rubbed her hands over her belly. "That is why I'm here. It came as much a shock to me as anyone when my monthly bleeds ceased and the life took form inside me."

Lady Lenore shuffled out from behind the cauldron and placed her hands on Neve's belly. She tilted her head back and forth as if trying to see through the skin. Siobhan's mother didn't move as the hag continued to probe her stomach, her fingers dragging around the navel until her hands settled to the side of Neve's belly.

"This is a Goddess given miracle," Lady Lenore said.

"For me, yes." Neve touched her hand to the center of her belly. "For her, I'm not so certain."

"What do you mean?"

"I've had nightmares every night since my last bleed. A voice calls to me and tells me to end the baby's life force. It's a faint voice, weak, as if it's struggling to reach me, but it's there. I need you to do your spells and ensure she's healthy."

"She?"

Neve nodded. "I feel it in my heart it's a girl." She grabbed Lady Lenore's hand. "Please. I know the futures you see aren't set and can change, but I need to know she will be healthy. Safe."