Chapter Thirty-Eight

James couldn't decide whether to start laughing at what Sirius said or backhand him for getting him all worked up over a joke

James couldn't decide whether to start laughing at what Sirius said or backhand him for getting him all worked up over a joke. He settled for pushing Sirius off the sofa, onto the floor with a shake of his head paired with a grin. There was a loud sound of a screech that echoed through the air as Sirius fell, but it seemed he wasn't going to "break character" of the solemn tone of what he had said earlier.

"What is wrong with you, Sirius?" James sighed as he leaned back against the cushions. "That wasn't even remotely funny. That's sick."

"No, what's sick is the fact that you decided to wear navy socks with black trousers," Sirius countered as he pushed himself up off the floor and brushed himself off, " but I wasn't trying to be funny, James. I'm actually trying to tell you something that might hold some truth."

There was a heavy silence that loomed over the room as James attempted to wait Sirius out, expecting his best friend to break at any given second and start laughing. However, as a couple of minutes went by, Sirius continued to stand there, not even a hint of a smirk pulling at the corner of his lips. There wasn't even a playful nature in his eyes which was usually the dead giveaway whenever Sirius was trying to pull off a solo prank.

Even if it did turn out to be a joke at that point, James wasn't even going to bring himself to laugh anymore because he didn't like the sinking feeling that was yanking at his stomach.

"Come on, Sirius," he whispered, a slight desperation in his tone for Sirius to claim that he was, in fact, lying about the whole thing, " an actual cult? You're trying to tell me that Renata and Adelmo are part of a cult? I thought you liked Renata and I thought you really liked Adelmo?"

"I do, James, that's not what's in question here, I still like them," Sirius replied, " but I've found some information that's pretty unsettling and I figured you had a right to know."

James found himself growing upset with the idea, just because it sounded utterly ridiculous that two of the nicest people, if not the nicest people, he had ever met were being accused of being in a cult.

"So, what cult is this? A cult for nice people who do nice things for other people?"

Sirius cautiously made his way back over to sit down, hoping that James wouldn't take to shoving him off the second time. So far, things seemed to have settled down as James was impatiently waiting for the information to be delivered with his arms folded over his chest. There was a defensiveness about his tone with the entire idea and Sirius didn't blame him, he just figured James needed to know what he did.

"Alright, so maybe cult might be a strong word for this," he began, " but I don't know what else to call it. Just listen to what I have to say and then you tell me if it doesn't sound like a cult to you."

"Fine," James grumbled, " go on."

He wasn't sure when Renata was going to be back, but he was sure he had time before she returned, especially with how fast Sirius was talking at the moment.