XXVIII

Let's just stay together
These scars are tokens of promises broken
Life can't get much better
~ Good Charlotte, Life Can't Get Much Better

"Has Lucas come back yet?" Scarlett asks as she walks into the kitchen in nothing but a baggy tee shirt.

At least I changed into my own clothes, which Erik didn't understand.

"Probably out getting laid still, it's not like people don't know who we are. He's got girls left and right." Kyle says with cockiness, completely oblivious to Lucas' feelings toward him.

I bite down on the french toast Erik made, and when I say made I mean put in the toaster for me.

Never in my life have I had frozen french toast before.

My mother would have a heart attack if she knew and probably tell me I'm getting fat.

"Remember that girl from last week, the one with her boobs out, trying to get Lucas' attention? The same girl that Avril had thrown out." I stare in disbelief at Kyle as he accuses me of throwing the drunk woman out of the show.

"I didn't throw her out, security and her boyfriend had her removed you dumb fuck. I have no control over that, that's the venue." I want to hit Kyle almost every day, but today seems to be the day I may do it. The whole no regards for his bandmate thing and now blaming me for taking his view away might just drive me to it.

"Leave Avril out of it, Kyle, and go bang Scarlett again before you get bored." I choke on my french toast at Erik's words. He doesn't seem bothered by the looks he's receiving and just goes about making his coffee.

"At least I'm getting some, better put some out Avril or he may leave." Kyle storms off to the backyard leaving the three of us in the kitchen.

And just to think I thought he was going to be my favourite.

"Ignore him, he's in a mood." Erik turns his back on us. Scarlett and I share a look with each other.

Scarlett leaves the kitchen to follow after Kyle and now it's just Erik and I. I want to rip into him about what was said about his bandmates.

"I know about why Lucas left, I told him to get out while those two were going at it like rabbits. He's at a buddy's house, he texted me this morning." Erik turns to look back at me as he talks and what he says causes my mouth to close shut.

"You know Lucas is gay?" There's an amused look on Erik's face when I ask.

"You think you're the only one he told? He told me when we were in high school, Ray, but I'm happy he's comfortable enough around you to tell you." He grabs my hand and rubs his thumb over the top of mine as he talks.

I don't say anything else and just take in all that has happened, with the feeling of Erik's hand holding mine.

"What are you going to do about the fighting?" I know for a fact that Erik is the leader of the band and that he started the band. All of them look up to him, even Devon, who is older.

"Kyle and I will be fine, just the stress of everything is playing a huge factor, not to mention we've been stuck in the same space for the last three months. Kyle was just really looking forward to a week of relaxation, but we have to work on the music video, which we should be leaving for soon. Are you coming?" Erik takes my plate and empty coffee cup to the dishwasher before meeting me on the other side of the kitchen table.

"I have nothing better to do." I shrug my shoulders and follow him down the hall, splitting at our separate rooms.

I shrug off the tee shirt and shorts I threw on when I woke up this morning, and replace my clothes with a hoodie and a pair of jean shorts. It's hot enough in LA that I can wear shorts, but cool enough for a hoodie.