━━ 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐔𝐏𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐃𝐎𝐖𝐍 - 𝐏𝟏 ━━

A//N: I would like to take a couple of seconds to rant about my awesome parents Joyce Byers and Jim Hopper. What amazing folks they are!

||𝟑𝐑𝐃 𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐎𝐍 𝐏𝐎𝐕||

"LET ME OUT OF HERE!"

Joyce fought tooth and nail against the cold restraints securing her in place. She had quickly grown tired with the sight around her, the isolation of the interrogation room in Hawkins Lab. After leaving the children in the care of Jonathan and Nancy, she and Hopper had unsuccessfully attempted to break into Hawkins Lab to enter the gate and find her missing boy. And now she found herself here, waiting around for someone to show as if she had all the time in the world.

As if Will did.

For fucks sake, she needed to get out of here! She needed to save her baby.

"SOMEBODY, PLEASE!" She winced against the sharp metal threatening to cut her skin at her attempts to pry herself free. "LET ME OUT!"

Finally, after far too long the sound of the door unlocking pulls her attention to the entryway. She caught the figure of an older man slinking through the crack in the door and into the shadows where he remains, his back turned to her.

Leisurely, he strides to the far corner of the room, still lurking in the dark when he turns to face her. Moments pass and even in the dark Joyce can make out his glistening, beady eyes locked on her when he finally speaks.

His voice was hollow and dark as if this man had never seen or been capable of anything other than darkness.

"Your son." He says, turning up the dial and boiling her blood with just two words. "We know you've been in contact with him."

The temptation to give in to the blind fury for this man for his foolish gall of acting as if she didn't have the right to save her son, was strong.

"You have to let me—"

"When," he cuts her off, inching towards the edge of the shadows. "and how did you make contact with him?"

A million thoughts race through her mind, each demanding priority. But the only thing she could pull from the masses was,

"What?"

He hums thoughtfully.

"Six."

Once again, she is blindsided.

"What?"

"Six," he states again, coming to stand before the chair opposite her and sheds his coat. "Six people have been taken this week."

He drapes his coat on the back of the empty chair.

"This... thing that took your son... we don't really understand it. But its behavior is unpredictable." With a small smile, he thinks again of his children that have escaped his grip. He pulls out the chair and lowers himself into the light as he takes a seat, continuing. "Like all animals... it eats."