/ / 22. ON THE GO / /

Ellie hurried to the front door, opening it to see Matty. He took a step in, shutting it behind him.

"Is Alex here?" He asked quietly.

She shook her head, before she could say anything his lips were soon against her's. She pulled away quickly, whispering, "my parents are."

They would have a fit if they knew she and Matty were anything at all...even just friends. They already were uncomfortable enough each time Ellie went out with Alex...under the impression that he'd be a bad influence.

They both looked around nervously, "what's the matter?" She asked, seeing nothing but panic upon his face.

"We gotta get out of here." He said, "pack your things we have to get out--"

"What are you talking about?" She laughed slightly, he wasn't easy to read at the moment, and how fast he spoke almost scared her.

"They're suspecting me, I saw on the news."

"What?" She said, her face feeling still as stone.

He ran his fingers through his hair, pacing the living room floors. Ellie's heart raced in her chest. "I have to leave." He said, frustrated.

"And you want me to go with you?" She asked.

"You will, won't you?" He asked with wide eyes.

"Matty...where are you going?" She asked.

"Great, just fucking great you're backing down on me. I thought we were in this together--"

"Matty I only asked--"

"Hey!" Mrs. Moore walked through the kitchen and into the living room, seeing the two standing there as they both fell silent.

"I thought I heard you, waiting for Alex? He's at work but he'll be back in a little while. Are you hungry?" She looked over at Ellie awkwardly, who knew she suspected her to be a bother to Matty...they all had at a time or another.

He shook his head, Ellie held her breath as each one too felt painful to take.

"What's the matter?" She asked, studying their faces.

Matty shook his head, so did Ellie, "nothing, mum."

Mrs. Moore nodded, walking back into the kitchen, hesitantly, looking over her shoulder one last time.

Ellie headed up to her bedroom, he followed close behind, running up the stairs. She let him in before shutting the door, quickly.

"Matty we're in this together but I can't just leave. We dunno where we're going or why, we'll be found no matter where we go this isn't a movie--"

"Don't do this to me." He argued, "if I'm found I'm going to jail. We both robbed that fucking shop together and if they know I'm associated with you in any way shape or form you'll be suspected also. They interviewed the owner, he says he only has one customer he could think of and I know it's me--"

"How can you be so sure--"

"God damnit Ellie!" Matty smacked the wall beside her, causing her to flinch. She backed away from him, looking at her backpack in the corner of the room...contemplating on whether or not it would be her only possessions once again if she went through with his plan.

"I'm sorry, it's not you. I'm just an idiot. A fucking idiot." He shook his head, tears falling down from his eyes.

Ellie pulled him close, hugging him tightly. He wrapped his arms around her waist, crying down into her shoulder.

"They can't just arrest you...they have no proof...we've rid the only weapon we used..." She felt just as afraid, how could she for any moment think they could get away with robbing anyplace? He would have listened if she backed down, so why did she go through with it?

All on the accord of a desperate need. That need being money, which later was the anthem of their success, until now, the root of all evil. Police sirens soon sounded through her ears. They couldn't be real it was all in her mind.

Her fright caused her to go a little insane...they wouldn't stop and only grew nearer. Matty pulled away from her, looking her in the eyes. She looked at him back, tears falling from her own as she too began to panic.

"We have to go." He said.

They were real. He let go of her, hurrying to the window and opening it wide. Ellie left her bag, knowing she couldn't run with it weighing down her back. She grabbed her leather jacket and threw it around herself, turning to him. He first let her out, watching her climb down before he soon did the same once she hit the ground.

She hurried to the backyard door, opening it as he grabbed her hand. They hurried down the street to his usual parking space, looking all around in every direction, drowning in pure paranoia.

He took out his keys and struggled to open the door as his hands began to shake. The doors finally unlocked, he got in and so did Ellie, slamming the door. He started up the van, hurrying onto the road and speeding through the streets which shined orange before them as the sun was soon to set.

"Do you think they're going to my house? How would they know where I live? I didn't even get to say goodbye to my parents...or talk to Alex, or tell him what happened--"

"They're looking for me at the moment, not you. I suppose its something else but we can't take the risk of them seeing me, Ellie. We just need to hide out for a while." He said, she looked over at him as the car built up speed. Her heart racing and her hands shaking.

They stopped at the light, dodging the sound of sirens at last. They took one another's faces in hand, with their lips crashing into each other's as they waited, knowing it could well be for the last time...