124. Decision

AN: ALiVE will end with Chapter 126.

124. Decision

It had already been a number of months, but I failed to navigate the halls. Each door looked like an emergency exits, and most required card identification to go through. This was a higher floor than my usual shenanigans, so it was really difficult to register routes.

They literally look the same everywhere. How do the nurses go through this all the time?

To my unmitigated dismay, we crossed paths with a patient that really didn't look like he should be walking at all.

His arm and one foot was in a cast, the other leg was held together with braces. He held a walking stick to help him walk, but he was mostly using it to stab people in the eye if they dared to cross before him.

His face was wrapped entirely in bandages-- amazingly enough, his mouth and one eye was open. His hair was miraculously left untouched--

Goodness, his hair's the biggest magic in this entire anime, I realized.

"Oops, he's not supposed to be walking around," Nurse Fujimiya nonchalantly registered, stopping the wheelchair and reaching for her phone, "I'll call the strongest nurse in this hospital, so gimme a moment--"

"Squalo-san!" I called out to him before I could think, "where are you going?"

The white-haired sociopath swung around and glared.

I flinched.

He snapped right back and continued staggering on his way.

He was leaving. Leaving Japan, I knew. He wasn't staying here any longer than needed, and if it was rest he needed, he could do that in Italy.

Why was I stopping him? Why was I feeling as if I didn't want him to go? Why did I--

I needed to say it-- say something-- anything-- I can't let everything I build up until now go to waste just like this! I needed to stop him, I needed something that could make him stop.

What would Drew do?

No-- what would Rei do?

"I can't deny that I still want to stand on the same field as you guys," I threw my voice, hoping it would reach him before he went too far, "now's impossible and I don't deserve to be anywhere near you guys," the words took a lot out of me, and I resisted the urge to jump out of the chair and chase after the figure that didn't seem to be listening to me at all.

"But one day, Squalo," I prayed, "one day, I'm sure--"

"Quit your blabbering, I get it!" Squalo shot back.

I raised my head.

Squalo was looking my in the eye-- and his glare was gone. It was replaced with his neutral annoyance-- and resignation.