× The Flintstones ×

The Flintstones is set in an apocalyptic future.

You might not know that there was a 1987 crossover TV movie where the Flintstones met the Jetsons.

In the episode, Elroy builds a time machine to send them to the future, but due to an error, they end up in the past.

But The Nerdist has theorised that the time machine actually worked.

They did go to the future.

Let's say that the Jetsons live in the sky in order to escape the wasteland down below.

Said wasteland may have been caused by some kind of nuclear apocalypse, and the only way to survive is to live up in Orbit City while the Earth recovers.

In this new world, any surviving animals get a fresh start without humans around.

They evolve with enriched intelligence, and functioning robots are able to eventually clone dinosaurs.

So, when humans do finally come back down, tech has hugely advanced but the cost is too high.

So, they come up with a nature-based system where humans can be engineered to achieve Herculean feats.

They also end up using animals to drive technology, from pig garbage disposals to birds playing records.

They're attempting to rebuild what they once had using whatever is around.

They even have a modern banking system.

And why would they celebrate Christmas in prehistoric times, eh?

The Flintstones are actually us in the far future – You maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!– attempting to reclaim the past via everything from technology to religion to entertainment.