Nathan- Thirty-four

Christmas had come, and with it, Holiday break. As always, the Daily household Christmas afternoon was full.

It was tradition to invite the entire family, every year, which meant the living room was currently filled with Ezra, Adrian, Celine, Keith, and Sarah, but Nathan still continued to glance at the doorway every three minutes.

"When's this boyfriend of yours getting here, kid?" His uncle Keith questioned, and Nathan looked to where the older man and his wife were sitting on the ground. Their daughter had been unable to join them this year, since she was traveling abroad for her first semester of college.

"As soon as he can get away," Nathan assured, checking the door once again and then looking at his phone for any messages.

There was a knock on the door then, and Nathan perked up for just a minute before Osmond pulled it open to reveal Jean. "Merry Christmas," Osmond greated, and Jean grinned at him and handed him a bottle of wine. "How on earth did you get this?"

"It's better if you just don't ask," Jean answered, slipping into the house. His eyes roamed the area, and he started towards Nathan, shaking hands with Keith on the way and offering a, "Hey, man, how you doing?"

"Just waiting to meet Nathan's supposedly wonderful boyfriend," his uncle replied and Jean snorted before dropping into the small space between Nathan and Adrian on the couch, sitting mostly on Nathan, but throwing his arm around the older man's shoulder.

"You'll like Glenn. Everyone likes Glenn," Jean pointed out, and it was true, so Nathan smiled. His best friends attention then moved to Adrian. "Hey sugar. Haven't seen you in some time. How've you been?"

Nathan glanced at Ezra, who was sitting on the floor beside Celine's chair. The older man's green eyes rolled.

"I'm fine," Adrian responded, ignoring Jean's arm on his shoulder.

"Yes, you are," Jean agreed, and Nathan scoffed.

"Oh, come on, Jean, give it up," he demanded, louder than he had meant to and all other conversation in the room ceased.

Jeans eyes grew wide and he turned to look at Nathan. "What are you talking about?"

"You're in love with someone else," Nathan reminded. "Why do you feel the need to hit on everyone else all the time?"

For a split second, Jean looked panicked, and then he laughed. "I'm not in love with him," he argued, but there was no way Nathan would believe that. Ever since Green had left, Jean had seemed lost, resorting to Nathan's old ways of sleeping with everyone, just to fill the gap the teacher had created when he left.

"Why are you trying to fool?" Nate asked, and then Jean looked away from him and shook his head, done with him and the conversation. Nathan leaned back against the couch, his arms crossing over his chest, annoyed with his best friend.

Immediately, Carmen picked up the conversation. "So Jean," he began, and Nathan's friend lifted his head to look at the man, who was sitting on the ground in front of the coffee table next to Sarah. "How have things been with your father?"

"Good," Jean admitted, and then he shrugged. "Won't even talk to me, much less hit me. It's been fine". It was something Jean clearly didn't want to talk more about, so he turned to Nathan. "When's the boy toy going to be here? I came to see him more than you". Nate's eyes narrowed, and Jean looked at Adrian. "He's prettier than Nathan is and it'll help me get of-"

Ezra scrambled to cover his daughter's ears and an eruption of noise occurred then to cut him off, and Jean's eyes rolled. "Soon. And stop calling him that".