forty-one

||CHAPTER 41||
《¤》

What Vansh had said two days ago kept on ringing in my dying ears when I met him the next day and he smirked; when I accompanied them to lunch the same day; when Mrs. Negi scolded me for not attempting the Advertisement question in her Revision test; when I had roamed the library during the free period with Armaan, when I suprisingly completed my math homework.

And even now, his tantalizing words did little to help me concentrate on the fact that Arnav was sneaking in some raisins in the mixing bowl infront of me.

"Just because I'm not reacting, doesn't mean I'm okay with your raisins inside my cake," I warned him, as he sat on the countertop.

He gave me a toothy smile. "No one bakes a cake for their self consumption."

I smiled at him sarcastically, "Watch me."

He did, all along emptying the new packet of raisins into the gooey batter.

"ARNAV!"

"Hey, I am watching you!" He shrugged, smirking.

Panicking, frowning, I grabbed a spoon from the stand and started collecting the drowning raisins; no matter what my brother thought, I was not baking another chocolate-raisin cake. "Arnav, I swear to-"

Ding-Dong.

Great, just great. I wasn't even allowed to threaten him now. Arnav got off his throne to see who it was, since no one was at home: Daadi was babysitting her favourite grandson because Jolly Bua was busy making arrangements for the party, and Dad was in Udaipur, finalizing stuff with the Yatis Hotel before coming back tomorrow for the party. And since none of the adults were home, we took the liberty of giving Ratan Kaka a much needed vacation until Monday.

I had successfully spooned out twelve raisins from the batter, when I heard his voice, and this time I was sure it wasn't ringing in my head.

"Holy Shit," he had whispered, "is that Arvika?"

I pretended I didn't hear them whispering, I wanted to hear them while collecting the remaining raisins.

"Yeah, she's baking. Her cakes are awefuckingsome. Especially if you add some raisins," my brother replied. "I'm irritating her though, because, why not?"

I don't know why people thought he was the logical one out of us.

I heard their footsteps before I felt their presence behind me. "You guys need to work on your whispering skills, you know," I turned around with the spoon in my hand.

He looked gorgeous. "You should work on your manners. Eavesdropping is bad."

"Wait," I pretended to remember something. "I think I have seen you in my brother's Good manners book. Right, Arnav?"

Arnav was busy emptying another packet of raisins into the batter. "Ek aur packet aya kaha se?! ARNAV!"

The telephone rang right when I was about to shove him to the side, "Me thinks me is very lucky. Don't bother removing kishmish, I have loads of them."