Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

There are times in life that things become too much. Every sound amplified, every nuisance becomes much more than mere irritation until you bend and snap. Like a twig.

I couldn't afford to snap, there was too much at stake.

On this particular day, I had a hectic day that made me want to simultaneously cry my eyes out and also slamming my head against the wall. As much as I wanted to release my frustrations with a set of angry tears I didn't have that luxury.

If I showed even an ounce of weakness, the vultures would swoop in for the final blow. Until then I had to stay strong with the hope that one day things would change.

In the meantime I had to suffer with step-siblings who so far had put flour in my hair dryer, put nail polish over my bar of soap so it wouldn't lather, covered all of my door knobs with oil, and put cling film around the door.

Those were nothing compared to the way they broke into my room, and threw about half of the stuff I own (the lighter half because heaven forbid they break a nail) out the window.

My clothes, and very few possessions were scattered amongst the grass, and they picked the perfect rainy day to do it.

The only spare clothes I had to wear were a pair of basketball shorts and an oversized t-shirt. Emma started a rumor at school that gym uniforms were the only thing I could afford to wear.

The immature high school students had a field day with that.

Then when I came back from a long shift at work (as per usual), they forced me to make dinner for them, clean the house, iron their clothes, do all the yard work and help them do their hair for a party.

There comes a point where everything become too much to handle. Every demand they made, sent me further into a dark abyss of a violent and self-destructive path.

I needed to blow off steam before I punched a wall, or better yet one of their demonic little faces, wiping the crude smiles off.

I make my way to the park, running being my only way to release this tension and stress. Usually the strain of my muscles and the wind whipping around me would be enough to soothe my mind. Today must have been an off day because I was still unable to move past the day's events.

They always know the best way to get under my skin and find the ways to hurt me most. It gave them control and power, and I hated the hold they had over me.

I was in the midst of trying out new breathing techniques when I felt a presence next to me. I curse underneath my break, not in the mood to deal with him either.

"Go away Derric." I say exasperated, not even bothering to look in his direction.

"How'd you know it was me?"

"You aren't stealth-like." I wish he would leave me alone.

"Noted." He says nothing for a few moments as we jogged in silence.

"Can I ask you a question?" He asks breaking the silence.

"No." I was definitely not in the mood for this.

"Are you ok?" When people ask you those three words there are two responses, but only one that the other person wants to hear.

"I'm fine." I say through gritted teeth.

"If you say so Blondie."

"I hate that nickname just as much as I hate your face."

He winces playfully. "Ouch." He chuckles to himself for a second before continuing. "But since you refuse to give me your name and my search to find you has only begun, I thought a nickname was well overdue."