Chapter 32

Third person pov

Arron was very nervous the next morning. She dove into the closet to get dressed, telling Shikamaru over and over again that this was a horrible die, and that she would probably die or get taken away. Shikamaru was careful to keep his cool. Acting like things were completely normal seemed to do well with her, so he acted like it was just any other morning.

"I don't like this." She whispered, clasping his hand. They hadn't even left the room yet. Trexx was just sitting next to the door snoring, not a fan of waking up this early. Shikamaru could honestly relate more than he cared to admit. He even caught himself yawning a few times, which wasn't unusual. It just caught his attention more now that Arron was going with him.

"It'll be fine. You look great, and I'll be there the whole time." Shikamaru assured. She was wearing spandex that used to be Yoshino's but had shrunken in the wash. Those were paired with a shirt that was Shikamaru's, much to the Nara's satisfaction. She also wore simple white tennis shoes that Shikaku had picked up for her once Shikamaru had finally been able to get her shoe size.

Arron reached up to finger strands of hair that weren't there. Shikamaru had helped her brush out her hair and put it in a ponytail. It was hot outside, so he didn't want it to make her neck too hot. Now all she had to shield her pale face was her bangs, which weren't all that long. She still reached up and tugged on them anyway. 

Shikamaru went for the door when Arron didn't respond. He was used to her not saying anything. It was sort of her specialty, and that was just fine with him. So he opened the door and led her out. Arron grabbed one of Trexx's hands on her way out, tugging him along. He snorted awake, blinking blearily. 

Yoshino wished them goodbye as they left, successfully scaring Arron so badly that she was completely hugging Shikamaru's arm. The Nara knew this was normal, but after her proclamation of love last night, he couldn't help but blush. He was very aware that she'd meant it in a completely platonic way. Arron probably didn't even know what a crush was, or the gravity of what those words meant to someone who wasn't family or even a friend you'd known for years.

"It's going to be okay. Trexx and I will be there the whole time." Shikamaru said. He turned a different way than he usually went most mornings. This route was far longer, but it avoided all people. It would allow them to cut through the forest. If Arron's first time really getting out of the house was too terrifying, she'd never want to leave again. He couldn't have that.

Arron glanced up at Shikamaru, her fingers laced with his. She was glad he was here. She wasn't sure what she'd do without him, honestly. Die, maybe? That seemed good. She really didn't know just how she got along without him before she was carried off to his house. She was honestly lucky Shikaku had picked her up that day. So, so lucky.

Shikamaru and Arron continued to walk together in silence, Trexx tromping behind them. The beast was far too curious for his own good. He'd stop to prod branches, and he'd eat butterflies that just so happened to be flitting by. Shikamaru thought he was eating too much. Arron would only shrug if he tried to ask why he was consuming so many objects. He wasn't sure she knew either.

"We're almost there, Arron. Just remember that you know Choji, okay? You know he won't hurt you. And I'll be there, alone with Trexx." Shikamaru assured as the drew closer. Arron tensed, her shoulders hunching. She pushed herself closer to Shikamaru. The Nara wasn't sure he wanted to show up holding hands, but if it made Arron feel any better, he'd most definitely do it. 

Choji, Ino and Asuma were already there when the pair, plus Trexx, arrived. Ino and Choji immediately locked onto Arron. She seemed shorter sometime. She was small, pale, but cute. Her hair was pulled into a neat ponytail and she wore the cutest outfit. At least, in Ino's opinion. She was clad in a shirt too big for her that was clearly Shikamaru's and the cutest black spandex she'd ever seen! And her shoes were absolutely adorable, just as white as the shirt. She still looked a bit too skinny, but had been eating well. She looked... well, fairly normal!

"Arron, Shikamaru!" Asuma smiled brightly. His eyes had immediately got to their hands, which were still locked together. Arron flinched at Asuma's loud greeting, lowering her head in a docile manner. Shikamaru frowned, glancing back at Trexx, who yawned loudly. He had to be the worst moral support Shikamaru had ever seen.

"How about we all sit down and we can formally introduce ourselves to Arron before we begin." Asuma forced himself to look away from Arron and Shikamaru's hands. She was traumatized, and had bonded with Shikamaru. This was a good thing. She had someone.

"Yeah!" Ino agreed, and Shikamaru nodded, glancing at Arron. She looked unsure, and terrified, but she was okay. Shikamaru was glad.