CHAPTER 19

Ruby St. Clair's POV

It's been two days since our sudden trip to Italy and having this weird meeting with Roman's good friend—a prince, no less. But I couldn't help but remember that old fellow the way he stared at me and the way I caught him glancing discreetly in my direction when he thought I was not aware of him throughout that night.

I tried to ignore the uneasiness I was feeling that night and stopped myself from confronting him and demand what was supposed to be the problem since I had a feeling that woman he claimed to have similar eyes as I left him and probably broke his heart.

Well, I have no business with whatever happened to him in the past with that woman. Thankfully, I probably not see him again in my life. I shook my head, there's no reason to revisit my encounter with that Italian prince now we're back in New York and back to our bizarre set-up. I was almost done with preparing for breakfast when my mobile phone sounded in my pocket.

I fished it out and look at the screen. I slightly frowned when I saw that my early caller was none other than my grandfather. Wiping my hand on the clean towel on the counter I slid my finger on the screen to take the phone call. "Good morning, Granddad."

"I am beyond grateful and relieve that you still know your poor old granddad, lassie." I heard my grandfather's opening remarks on the other end of the line. "I fear at night while I lay in my bed that my favorite granddaughter has forgotten that I am still alive."

I rolled my eyes at his dramatic speech as I leaned on the marble counter. "What's with the morning speech, Gran? Let's save the chase and get on with the business. Shoot."

I heard him pretend to sigh. "How cold, my dear. It must be the cold New York's weather that is making you cold towards your granddad."

"Granddad..." I gave him a warning, rubbing my forehead. I knew this kind of conversation with him. The way he would dance around the subject until you finally let your guard down before pouncing and aim for a kill. We've played this before many times in the past. "...if this is just a social call I'm busy right now I will call you later. I will hang up this phone."

"Wait!"

I raised an eyebrow and allowed myself from smiling slightly. Now that caught him from his toying around with me. "Yes, Gran?"

I heard him took a deep breath. I could almost see the change in his demeanor in his Upper East Side mansion right at this moment. "Since your return, I barely see you, lass. It is as if you didn't come home at all I miss you."

Now he's playing with my conscience. This sly old fox, I mused affectionately. No wonder he's so successful in the business world he knew how to play his card well. I shook my head ruefully, pushing away the wayward hair off my face. "Didn't you ask me a favor? I quite busy these days working."

"Yes, I remember. And I will be always grateful to you with this favor soon." Daniel St. Clair reflected thoughtfully. "That reminds me the reason why I called, my sweet darling. I am hosting a family dinner party tomorrow at the estate in Hamptons all of your sisters will be coming and I will not take no for an answer from you, young lady."

A frown was marked on my eyebrows. "Why so sudden, Gran?"

I heard him exhaled a heavy sigh. "This is not all of sudden as you put it, Ruru." He said bringing up the childhood pet name he had for me. "In fact, this is long way overdue. We should have this family dinner the moment you arrive but your old granddad is busy with the empire and among other things."

"So you are not busy now?" I inquired dryly, staring at the state-of-the-art kitchen. There was still no sign of Roman thank goodness.

"No," He replied with laughter in his voice. "So, can I expect you tomorrow night? I know that it's still weekdays but I am hoping you could come. Everyone will come including your hardnosed older sister Sapphire. I successfully manage to remove her bum away from her office chair even for one night for her to be with her family once in a while."