Chap 16

All I could hear was the sound of my breath as it came out in gasps. My legs were on fire as I ran as fast as they could take me. The sound of their paws pounding against the forest floor crushing leaves with those huge feet made my heart pound in fear. I couldn't regret now. I would gladly take my mates place if it meant saving their lives.

Loud barks followed me as the trees all became a blur around me. If they caught me I was dead. I was surprised that I was fast enough to keep out of their reach. But all that came to a stop when too late I saw a low branch and wasn't able to stop. Painfully it caught me in the stomach and I flipped over it once before being slammed to the ground. In moments I was surrounded.

Sharp teeth clouded my vision on all sides.

No!

Frantically my hand searched the ground when my fingertips scraped against something rough. Quickly I grabbed it and swung, making contact with one of them as he yelped. It was then I realized as I shot to my feet that none of them were attacking. They just stood there and growled. Frowning I eyed them all when another, much bigger wolf came up.

Their leader?

He was a deep gray with white paws and under belly. His golden eyes caught mine for a moment before moving over to the others. Pulling back his lips he growled at them and I watched in disbelief as they all lowered their heads and back away from me. This wolf stood tall as they slunk back to him. Once they were crowded behind him he looked back at me again. Gritting my teeth I gripped the branch tighter till I could feel the skin peeling away by the rough bark.

The wolfs eyes traveled down towards my hand as he noticed the desperate hold I had on my weapon. Something was wrong as I glared at him. There was an annoying sensation pulsing through my body as I keep my eyes trained on him. It reminded me of what happened with the fox. Like my body was trying to warn me of something.

Slowly I watched as the leader stepped forward, lifting a paw off the ground and placing it almost hesitantly in front of him. My heart skipped a beat and I raised the stick defensively a fraction seemingly making him rethink his decision and he backed away a few steps. My frown deepened in confusion. What's up with this guy? Was he going to attack or just stare at me? Suddenly I jumped at his commanding bark and watched them all run off in the opposite direction.

I was left there in a daze.

I survived.

I saved Gale and survived.

All the strength I had abruptly left my body and I collapsed to the ground. I was shaking all over when I heard fast footsteps approaching behind me.

"Lakota!" two sets of arms wrapped around me.

"Thank god you're okay!" I heard one of them say as I was squeezed to death. When they let go I was finally able to see them clearly. Both were scratched up pretty badly.

I reached out to Gale first since he was the cause of all this. The raw scratches on his face and body hurt me just to look at them.

"I'm so glad you're safe."

"You stupid idiot!" he sobbed suddenly and grabbed me into his chest, burring his face in my neck.

"Why would you risk your life like that?" he words were broken, like he was holding back on his emotions.

"To save you" I answered simply. He forced out a huff of breath against my neck and I smiled looking up at Cyrus as he watched us quietly. I frowned,

"Wait why are you hurt Cyrus?" I reached out and touched his face gently.

"Two of them stayed behind and put up quite a fight" he laughed softly.