1. The Day He Came To Life

"Cory?" I heard a female voice call from a distance.

My eyes shot open and I shielded them right away with my hand from the glaring light.

"C–Co–ory, oh my God, Ethan! Oh God, thank you!" The person was whimpering and sobbing.

As my eyes slowly adjusted to the brightness, they began roaming the room.

I was in bed, staring back at many faces.

I took me a few seconds, but I recognized Mom, Dad, Ethan and Dakota. There were two strange men, which I could only assume were doctors.

Ethan was comforting a trembling Dakota and Dad was holding Mom for the first time in years. They all looked like they had been crying for days.

"What is going on?"

I looked at them for answers, but none of them managed to speak through their crying.

"All due time, Cory," One of the man said to me. "They will tell you everything, but for now you're gonna have to rest."

"Do I have some kind of concussion?"

"Oh, my baby!" Mom sobbed, throwing her arms around me.

Never had I seen her like this. She was acting like I was about to die in the most brutal way.

I was about to pat her back comfortingly, but the man interfered, stepping closer. "Ma'am."

She let go of me reluctantly as Dad pulled her gently to him.

"I feel fine. I don't need any rest," I assured them quickly. "What the hell happened?"

One of the men was writing something down on his clipboard. The other one looked back at Ethan.

"You were right. He doesn't seem to remember much."

"I told you!" Ethan practically yelled at the guy and my eyes widened, before a slight smirk formed on my lips.

At least some normality. Ethan wasn't holding back.

"Or does he?" The man now inquired. "Why are you smiling? What do you remember?"

"I know who I am and who they are, but other than that... I don't know," I shrugged. "My mind's pretty blank. Is anyone gonna tell me what the fuck is going on now?"

My question was met with silence, so I let out a frustrated sigh.

"Tomorrow," The man finally said, then ushered everyone out.

Their faces looked pained as they left the room.

"Get some rest, Mr. Parks."

He closed the door behind him, leaving me alone with an empty mind.