Chapter Ninty-Eight: Thank You, I Hate You

"Gavin, can I talk to you for a sec?" Tasha didn't look at him as she walked out of the room, Gavin trailing behind while the rest of the group were caught up on the situation.

"What's up, buttercup?"

Tasha couldn't help but giggle at his words. "I bet you thought long and hard on that one, didn't you?" As soon as she said the words she regretted it, seeing Gavin smirk. "That's not what I—"

"I mean, I do have something long and hard." He winked, smirking down at her.

Tasha merely rolled her eyes. "Ok, buddy, whatever makes you happy."

Gavin hummed in reply as he learnt against the wall next to me. "Why'd you wanna talk to me in private? Are you finally going to admit you want me?" He teased, hoping it would get her to laugh again.

He smiled in triumph when Tasha laughed, running her fingers through her hair. "I just wanted to thank you."

Gavin was quiet for a moment, shrugging. "You don't need to thank me, Tash."

"Yeah, I do." Tasha finally turned to face him, looking up into his eyes. "Fowler could have fired you. Or—"

"Tasha, I wanted to help. Stop overthinking things." Gavin sighed, getting frustrated with her.

Tasha frowned for a moment before slowly putting her arms around Gavin's waist, pulling him into a tight hug.

Gavin was still as he felt her warm body pressed against his, her face cuddled up against his chest while her hands rested on his back. Gavin blinked a few times, trying to regain his composure as he slowly hugged her back, resting one hand on the back of her head, the other lightly holding her back.

"You didn't need to help me, but you did. You didn't ask for anything in return..."

"'Cause I wanted to help you." His voice was quiet as he relished in the feeling of her breath against his neck, his hand that rested on her back slowly held her to him tighter.

"Why?"

"You... you've made me want to be a better person. I mean, shit, you've even made me see androids as living things!" Gavin pulled back just enough so he could look down at her. He knew his heart was beating incredibly fast, and he was sure she could hear it. He was also sure Connor was listening to their conversation from the other room, but in that moment, he didn't care. "I..."

"Did I make you speechless, Gav?" Tasha giggled.

Gavin could've melted at the sound. "Pssh, you wish." Gavin looked away, trying not to enjoy how she had rested her hands against his chest.

"You don't have to go, you know." Tasha said quietly as she pulled away from him, only moving a tiny bit away.

"Are you serious?" Gavin scoffed. "Someone has to make sure you don't get yourself killed."

"You do remember I'm part android, right?" Tasha didn't look at him.

"Yeah, I remember." Gavin replied. "You know, you've never showed me."

"You hate androids." Tasha said quietly.

"Not anymore. And I could never hate you."

Tasha sighed, allowing her synthetic skin to disappear, showing the white on her arm.

"Does it feel different?" Gavin asked as he looked at her arm.

Tasha shrugged. "Kind of. But it's better than not having an arm I guess."

"Well, I think you look like a badass." Gavin smiled at her. Before she could say anything else North stepped into the room.

"Markus is asking for you."

••
A/N: just a short side chapter to hold you until the next :3