ACHILLES HEEL

London, 1981

London, 1981

     WITH SHAKING HANDS AND A BEATING HEART, Adam Hampshire could feel the very little time he had slip away from him further, as if his fingers were trying to grasp at sand

WITH SHAKING HANDS AND A BEATING HEART, Adam Hampshire could feel the very little time he had slip away from him further, as if his fingers were trying to grasp at sand. Various footsteps could be heard storming up the stairs through his home, their quick feet in tune with the pounding in his chest. He glanced over his shoulder toward the door frantically, looking through various desk drawers to find a spare piece of paper to write on. As the footsteps grew louder, he gave up and grabbed a water bill, fumbling to uncap a pen and scribble his goodbye on it at breakneck speed. Just as he was to finish, his door burst open, and in stalked a tall man with a pointed face and long blond hair, leading an array of figures covered in cloaks behind him.

"Hampshire," He spoke with his chin held up high. "it's been quite a while since we have seen each other, hasn't it?"

Adam Hampshire put his pen down and looked to the sinister man before him who stood there tall across the room, mouth pressed into a thin line. Adam chuckled humorlessly at the sight before him. "Lucius, I don't remember you knocking," He said coolly. The death eater glared at him before rushing forward, and grabbing him by his shirt collar.

"Don't test me, Hampshire," He hissed at him. "You should have known this day would come after you turned against the Dark Lord, and became a filthy blood traitor as well. I'll show no mercy for a scum like you."

"Well I don't know about that," Adam had retorted with a laugh, reaching up to push his wire-framed glasses up the bridge of his nose. "You seem to be doing a lot more talking than showing, Lucius."

Lucius narrowed his eyes at the traitor before him, not appreciating his petty banter.

It had been known widely in wizarding world that Adam Hampshire was a former death eater, but had betrayed Voldemort's ranks when he made the mistake of falling in love with an Oxford History professor by the name of Vesta Brandt. Upon this, they married and Vesta gave birth to a baby girl. Wanting to start fresh, he joined the Order of the Phoenix who sought his new family's protection on the condition that he told them everything that the Dark Lord had been planning. This subsequently led to the infiltration of Voldemort and the death eater ranks, causing a major setback for months, which aided in Voldemort's suspected disappearance. In a fit of bitterness and pure wickedness, Voldemort's followers were on a spree to torture or kill those who were instrumental to his downfall— and at the top of the list was, in fact, Adam Hampshire.

Sick of the dawdling, Lucius Malfoy threw Adam onto the floor, pulling his wand from his walking stick and pointing it at him in one grand, swift motion.

"I have to admit, Lucius," Adam laughed breathlessly at him from the floor. "You've always been one for the dramatics."

Lucius was annoyed, but kept his solemnly bitter scowl on his face.

"Crucio!" He cursed him and Adam writhed on the floor, screaming in pain while death eaters surrounding them howled in laughter.

"You're ridiculous, Adam," Lucius Malfoy walked over to wipe his things off of his desk, causing them to fall over Adam's squirming body. "Look at you," He sneered. "living in your muggle townhouse with your muggle wife and muggle child."

Tears ran in streams down Adam Hampshire's cheeks, as rose-tinted images of his beautiful wife holding his precious daughter flooded his brain like ink diffusing into water. He knew that he would never see them again, and this thought hurt much more than the tortuous pain being inflicted upon him.

"Giving up power for a stupid muggle! The act of pure foolishness," Lucius continued as the death eaters around him began destroying the house with various spells that wrecked the room they were in, cement and wood crashing down around them. "And now, you will finally have to face the consequences. You didn't think you could run from your past forever, did you?"

Unfazed, he watched Adam's tortured body twitch and thrash on the wooden floor. He couldn't help but smile at the fact that revenge had been exacted as it should have been.

Lucius Malfoy's sister in law, Bellatrix Lestrange, moved to stand beside him, raising her wand with a grin as she looked down at the shell of a man below.

"No!" Lucius held out an arm to stop her. "Let the muggle-lover suffer."

Chaos ensued minutes more as the death eaters moved throughout the upstairs level, destroying everything in their path with the slightest wave of their wands. Lucius remained in Adam's office, staring down at him with his walking stick held neatly in his hands.

"You served him well before your betrayal, Adam. The Dark Lord sends his regards," Lucius Malfoy simply uttered the words, barely even having to lift his hand to cast the spell.

"Avada kedavra."

A wave of bright, green light burned into Adam's vision before everything went black and dissipated, and in that moment, Adam Hampshire had taken his last breath and slipped away like the sand into the sea.

Looking over his old friend's lifeless body, Lucius held nothing but resent for him still.

"What a pity," He tutted, although he held no remorse for him.

A couple moments after, his fellow comrade, Rabastan, rejoined him, holding out a small plush bear with a bow tied around its neck. "What about the wife and child? Do we wait for them?"

Lucius glanced at the stuffed toy and took it from him, turning it over in his hand for a moment. "Don't bother," He decided. With the destruction they had just done, it was best to flee as soon as they could from the scene of their crime as Magical Law Enforcement would be soon to arrive. He tossed the bear to the floor, unaware that his choice was to be a huge lapse in his judgement.

"They're just muggles."

❈    ❈    ❈

hey bb grills
heres my new story. so u dont get confused, the current timeline is set in the middle of their relationship, not the beginning but it goes back and recaps certain significant points from earlier on. yeet. im enjoying writing aurora so much because shes so silly and lighthearted and she loves her friends and her family and her boyfriend so much she would kill a man. i cant wait for you to meet her character and get to know her
anyway here is achilles heel theres so much in store that i have for this story i hope i dont get discouraged and stop writing w like my 59 other drafts hA
enjoy